RJ Spagnols Orchard Breezin' Suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well after 11 days the SG is sitting at 0.998. Going to give a few more days to see if it will drop a little more, probably not, but it might. Color and flavor seem to be pretty good.

robie is probably correct with regard to leaving the f-pack alone. I just decided that since the opinions were about 50-50 on whether or not to use some of it up front, I would go ahead and try it this time. I think I will still have plenty of the f-pack left to make it as sweet and flavorful as my bride and I prefer.

Experimentation is fun. Either way your wine will be excellent.

Runningwolf has put the bug in my ear about making sparkling wine from some of these summer wines. Now I just have to try it!!!

They are already so popular with my friends, I just think a sparkling summer wine would send the wines over the top.

If I make one a sparkling, I am considering they might need a little extra sweetening over what the F pack provides. My reasoning is that the CO2 tends to add a little bitterness to a wine. That just might need offset by the additional sweetness.

I always bump the ABV to about 12%. I also need to consider if that would still be a good thing if the wine is a sparkling wine.

If I do this, I will start a new thread to cover it.

Mighty Tasty

Bottled the Peach Chardonnay this weekend after giving it an extra week in the carboy. Finished right at 12% with good peach flavor and plenty of sweetness for me. Judging from the strength of the peach flavor, I am glad I used some of the F-pac at the beginning. Using it all at the end, I can certainly see how you could end up with that Jolley Rancher taste several posters have mentioned. All in all, I am pleased with the outcome. Thanks again for all comments and suggestions.

Greg

robie: I have made about 25 of these kits over the years and always wanted to experiment, and this bubbly idea intrigues me, love to buy new play toys to make better quality "stuff", I wouldn't have a clue how to do this, but if you do, experiment, please do a write up with pics or it didn't happen, then i can help the experimentation process. :db

Latest posts

Back