Other Finer Wines Frutta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - follow up question now that I have everything and I'm making a Merlot and a Bordeaux (separately). I added 2 cups of fermentation oak to each in the primary and I'm getting ready to move to a fermonster for EM. Maybe. Will the additional oak be ok for EM? I've had great success with EM and would like to continue using that method.

OK - follow up question now that I have everything and I'm making a Merlot and a Bordeaux (separately). I added 2 cups of fermentation oak to each in the primary and I'm getting ready to move to a fermonster for EM. Maybe. Will the additional oak be ok for EM? I've had great success with EM and would like to continue using that method.
I wouldn't add more oak at this time. Tannin is extracted from the fermentation oak during fermentation, which is as short term process. If you add more oak now, it's still short term -- as long as EM lasts.

I recommend waiting until EM is over, then add aging oak, which can be in as long as you desire. My experience is to go lighter on the aging oak and leave it longer -- I've left cubes in the wine as long as 12 months. I doubt there was anything left to extract after 3 months, but it doesn't cause any harm.

I wouldn't add more oak at this time. Tannin is extracted from the fermentation oak during fermentation, which is as short term process. If you add more oak now, it's still short term -- as long as EM lasts.

I recommend waiting until EM is over, then add aging oak, which can be in as long as you desire. My experience is to go lighter on the aging oak and leave it longer -- I've left cubes in the wine as long as 12 months. I doubt there was anything left to extract after 3 months, but it doesn't cause any harm.
Great thank you... I just wasn’t sure if I would be ok with the current oak load or if it would be too much. I’m not planning on adding anything until EM is over and I’ve sampled it. I mean tested it… this batch really finished quickly!

Back