orange mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrnbrd

Reaction score
I started the orange mead up this morning.It looks very nice with the oranges sitting on top. I couldnt get a sg reading on it though. The question is how thick will it be when it is done? When do I rack off of the fruit?

If using the Ancient Orange mead recipe then follow direction s as they dont rack at all but me, I cant follow those instructions. I did it in primary bucket and racked over to glass at 1.025 along with all the fruits. I just racked again after sg was stable for 4 weeks straight and will add fining agent maybe tomorrow as it doesnt want to clear on its own.

Really, I thought I should rack off of fruit and letit fine for a while on its own. I think I will leave it alone for a couple of months to see what happens. According to directions I got was to leave it alone for a couple of months then top off and leave it for another couple of months.

I started Joe M's Anciant Orange on 12/31 I am following the directions. It has been almost 2 months so im close to bottleing. I believe leaving it on the fruit will add to its flavor. I could be wrong since i am a mead newbe. Here are a couple picts of mine. It will be ready to bottle in about a week.
20080224_060149_meadclear.jpg

I put the label i will be using behind the picture to show how clear it is. It has cleared very well without any help from me..

It's gota nice orange hew but im not sure if its from the oranges or from the honey. Heres another pic with the oranges and raisins floating on top. They are suppose to settle to the bottom. I'm not sure i want to wait that long to taste it .. but i may.
20080224_084736_meadclear2.jpg

It looks great. I am making this because I really want to know how it taste. It just started fermenting this morning so I have a long time to wait.

I made mine in a jug, but pulled the fruit after a while because it was still floating and looked just too gross. I topped it up and left it. I did rack a few times before bottling.

There is alot of lees on top of the fruit. That is why i think ill wait till it sinks.. According to the directions it should settle in just over a 2 months.
Im about 1 week from 2 months, whats another week........
smiley24.gif

Acording to the recipe I got you are suppose to leave it alone for a long time. But I cant keep my hands off of any wine .Very impatient.

lol dcrnbrd i understand. I think the recipe says after a couple months and a few days.. I keep it coverd with a towel in my bedroom, the warmest room in the house, every week or so i take a look at it and it looks so good and i remember the smell when it first started. I cant wait to try it...but i do want to know what it would be like if i leave it. If i do like it my next batch will be 3 gallons.

Since starting my Joes AO i have a facination with mead's. So i am trying a recipe i found that was also posted by Joe M. Its called a quick mead using 64oz juices. When they say quick they mean about a month and they are sweet. Here is a picture of both meads. on the left is from a 64oz polmogrante/cranberry on the right if from a frozen juice concentrate apple/grape/cherry, this was my own creation. I just racked these this am and you can see they are clearing very fast just the way i like it.
20080224_180029_crangrapeapgrch.jpg

oh .. under the green towel in the back is my Joes AO.. lol...

Those look good. I have a raspberry melomel still in 6 gallon carboy that was made with 18lbs of raspberries and 18 lbs of honey and it smells so good. The only reason I havent bottled it is that I want to back sweeten it with fresh garden berries as thats what I made with from my parents garden.

sounds great... wade. That is what i want to try. I have blueberrys that grow on my property, but this time of year all i can grow is snow.. I think this year i will pick berries and freeze them so i can experiment during the winter months.

Looks awesome. Where is a good place to get mead recipes? I would like to try a couple of different ones.

Thanks masta. This mead stuff really gets to going. It has blown the cap off of my airlock twice. I am going to hve to use some tubing into a mason jar of vodka to keep the mess under control. Smells really good though.

Back