Orange Chocolate Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wade, I plan on holding off on extract to give the chocolate a chance to come forward. At this point it could use some, hopefully it wont be needed over time. Ken, DME is Dry Malt Extract, usually used for brewing , the extra light doesn't impart any of its own flavor into wine use. Would be great to see you do one Smoke, and whatever tweaks you come up with.

I believe the DME is to give extra body - I'm going to have to give it a try

The DME is for added body to the wine. A tip I picked up from Jobe. Works very well on Port styles, results in a very heavy, thick , fullbodied wine! It does bring some fermentable sugars to the show also.

So I was thinking..(hard to believe I know) I'm going to back sweeten this Port style, and It needs more chocolate flavor. Not a big fan of the extracts, my experience they always seem to bring an artificial flavor with their use. So , I made a trial batch of invert sugar, adding three cups sugar to the cup of water, tsp of lemon juice, AND, 1/4 cup of cocoa. I'll let this sit a few days to see what kind of solids drop out, then do a bench trial with the 1.5 top up bottle. Maybe, just maybe this will address two issues at once.
20090416_084518_100_1043_Small.jpg

It came out very chocolaty, taste really good. Used an extra cup sugar than usual hoping it will take less to get to desired point as it isvery dark and thick. Worth a try on the top up .

20090422_190602_100_1053_Small.jpg

Racked off the oak today, starting to clear pretty good. Now wait awhile for the choc flavor to come forward then sweeten up a bit!

Wow, JW. Looks good. Not at all what I imagined an OCP would look like. Guess I thought it would look more.... well, chocolatey.
smiley36.gif

So...You Want Chocolatey??... Well..

Went out today with the Mrs to a little thing called Pioneer Power. Imagine a yard sell with about 4000 people there, you get the idea. Found a lady selling Watkins products, we've tried them long ago, good stuff, a bit spendy , but good. Well , she had those 2Oz bottles of Chocolate Extract. I couldn't resist. Got one, got home and gave it a whiff....WOW, what chocoaltey smell and flavor. So into the three gal of Port it went, and , well, BAM ! Not only does it smell really good now, I mean REALLY good, it taste pretty dynamite to! And the color change I think it might be what one would expect when you say Orange CHOCOLATE Port !
smiley36.gif

20090424_140709_100_1062_Small.jpg

Now that looks delish. I know what you mean about some of those extracts, I bought a fw at Chef's emporium and they are pricey but really taste a world above all others!

Wanted to bump this as I am getting ready to start one similar to what JW has done.

I also wanted to see how his was progressing. Let us know where yat?

Oh My Gosh that looks good! I am going to have to get some Watkins extracts then! I'm thinking -- chokecherry chocolate port is in my future somewhere!!!

I didn't plan on trying this one until the end of the year, being high octane I really don't think its time...but....just for you...I have one chilling in the fridge, and Ill giver her a try this weekend.

SO JW is it still chilling? Or was it so good you've been drinking it all?

Wow, I do have one in the fridge...and I completely forgot about it. Maybe this weekend sometime, Ill have to move it to the front where its seen!

BUMP....

JW whats the verdict?? I got some watkins chocolate extract in today. Waiting to hear from your tasting still.....
smiley36.gif

Well?

And BTW - one of the specials this month on the site listed above is chocolate extract (listed as a gourmet extract)

Latest posts

Back