Orange Chocolate Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWMINNESOTA

Reaction score
O.K. , so found all this OJ concentrate just lying around in the freezer , so...

1 lb Extra Light DME
6 cans OJ conc
Sugar approx 6 lbs
1 cup Cocoa
1 16oz White Grape Conc
3 tsp Pectic
1/2 tsp Tannin
starting SG 1.110
Mixed up for three gal batch, will pitch yeast tomarrow, going with Premier Cuvee , since that and Montrachet was all I had on hand, and the Cuvee should have higher tolerance.Starter made today.Chapitalize with another white grape conc once it gets to rolling good, shooting for at least 17-18%. See how it goes before deciding on fortifying or not.
Looks like a Milk Shake!
smiley36.gif

20090324_160831_100_0996_Small.jpg

Would throw in some white raisins, but im out, maybe a banana, still time to add to it I suppose. Dessert should be ready to " Sample"around Thanksgiving maybe!
smiley2.gif

You the man JW
smiley32.gif

I believe you are going to have a good one. You did use k-meta too didnt you?
And I bet you even used some good yeast nutrient and energizer and just forgot to put it down
smiley4.gif

You are going to make me go out and buy some more carboys, bungs, and airlocks. That looks/sounds delish!!!!

No on the K-Meta Waldo, with these ingredients I think (hope) itsnot necessary. Held off on adding the nutrients and energizer until yeast pitched this A.M., though I did use it in the starter,so if there was any wild yeast in there at least I wasn't feeding it!
smiley36.gif
Thinking Light/Medium French oak when its time, a little subtle oak flavor may work on this one.

Thanks for sharing this recipe JW as this one looks very interesting to me...

I have some questions about the chapitalization - when you say you will use the concentrate to chapitalize - do you mean that instead of straight "sugar feeding' you will add sugar in the form of additional white grape concentrate?I would assume you might have to do this addition more than once to get up to the desired alcohol level?

Thanks and good luck!
Wayne

Wayne, I think more along in addition to the sugar. It will take roughly 2 1/2 lbs more sugar (1.037kg by the wine calculator)to get the ABV up to desired levels if all goes well. May be best to do this in a couple of additions, will see when we get there. Ferment is taking off, no off smells (yet) that I havebeen told ofwhen using cocoa.

Wow... looks good JW
you will certainly make new friends with this one.
need any help bottling......

Slipped In this morning after a night of work, and it hit me....that sweet sweet smell! So I took a little peek...
20090326_035644_100_0997_Small.jpg

Held my ear a little closer and there it was, the sizzle of the Cuvee doing its thing. Kind of like the sound of bacon and eggs frying. Always have liked the sound this yeast tends to make. So I put on Dylan's "Stuck Inside of Mobile with the Memphis Blues Again", contemplated life awhile, and realized NW is right..Life IS Good! Come over around Sept IQ, we'll see how much makes it to the bottle!

Did the chapitalize today, due to the rolling ferment it is difficult at best to get a very accurate sg, so trusting the initial readings and going by calculated sugar amount. Did kick it into high when all that new sugar hit, the house now smells incredible!
20090328_165034_Chap.jpg

Racked to glass, added a little nutrient, still slowly fermenting. Wow, looks like chocolate, and very thick!
20090331_020301_100_1002_Small.jpg

I did get almost another gal, mostly the thick DME and lees, but enough as it settles I can use to top this up with. Taste is very hot, cocoa coming through a bit bitter, cant detect OJ, may back sweeten in a couple months with OJ/Sugar mixture. Will hold off until it mellows some and flavors come forward a bit.The high ABV tells me it will need age, but shows promise. I better get some oak ordered since I see I am out!
smiley36.gif

SG down to .998 , so racked, stabalized and added couple oz of French Med Toast Oak. Smells pretty incredible, taste is improving each sample time. Will monitor oak addition over next few weeks and then maybe add clarifier's if needed.
20090406_145823_100_1007_Small.jpg

First time trying the DME , must say it really does seem to add a lot of body. Lots of room in the top up bottle, so i'll get it into a 1.5 bottle for later use.

20090414_155539_100_1029_Small.jpg

The OCP is starting to clear a bit, kind of a glow to it now. Small samples shows the Orange flavor really starting to come forward. Slight hint of the chocolate, nothing overwhelming. Bit more time needed on the oak to my taste. All in all, if I back sweeten this properly I believe it has the potential to be truly good. Ill let it sit sometime before doing that, and also decide if I should fortify or not. After this taste, I think maybe not, leave these flavors to develop on there own.

Latest posts

Back