Opinions on those stainless conical fermenters for wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've done mostly beer but now venturing into wine. I have 5 or 6 of the plastic fermentation buckets. They obviously work fine. But I'm kind of getting tired of dealing with the lids, and mine are showing some discoloration inside (from the beers). So thinking about maybe getting something else for use as a primary.

There are several variations on the conical out there of course. These seem to be a viable option at a fairly low price:

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/brewbucket

Could be used for beer or wine, I suppose. (I'm going to the Mall to see Santa soon...)

Any opinions on these things? Also, as I gather folks here like to leave the primary more "open" in the beginning of a fermentation, with these do you just leave the top off and put a towel over it, or is there some more systematic way of using it "open"?

Thanks,

Mark

I would like one (or several) but in a larger size. I'm not sure they are worth the money but they sure are pretty. I use 20 gallon Brutes and have them on dollies so they can be moved easily.

I'd rather spend the money on variable volume vessels. Unless the fermenter comes with a variable lid, you now have several hundred dollars laying around that you can't use until the next batch. A conical fermenter will make your rackings very slightly more efficient. I don't ever see a home winemaker ever making big enough volumes to justify the expense. That being said, if you've got money to burn and you've already upgraded all your other equipment why not?

Thanks for the replies. FWIW, I thought the variable volume things were for much larger batches? The thing I'm looking at is basically for 5 gallons. I can't really see any downside to them. Just wondering what the experience/opinions of the folks here were. I generally don't see myself doing more than one 5 gal batch at a time, mostly, other than a few to get started here (that has always been my beer approach - one batch a month, 5 gals - it's a way to spend a Sunday).

Again, any thoughts on these would be welcome.

Mark

At 6.95 gallons, I wouldn't be comfortable fermenting a kit with skins in there. It looks pretty, but is impractical and costly, IMHO. You could buy ten 8 gallon fermenters for that much.

Wow, that sure looks cool. I do have to agree with the others that the fermenter is about two gallons to small. I used to lust for a conical bottom tank but for 5-6 gallon batches the racking and cleaning chores just aren't that bad. If dealing with lids is a hassle, don't use them. Many of us just use a cloth or simply set the lid on the bucket without snapping it down. Do yourself a favor and, if you don't have one, get a 10 gallon brute and give it a spin.

Bottom line; if you gotta have stainless,you gotta have stainless.

Well, I got a wild hair and just ordered one. I'm kind of surprised at the suggestion that it's too small for 5 gallon batches. I've been brewing 5 gal batches of beer for years in 7 gallon buckets, and now on my third 5 gallon wine in the same buckets. It doesn't leave a lot of head space in the primary, but it seems to work ok?

FWIW, my plan generally is to mix up about 6 gals of must for future batches, and draw off 1 gal right before pitching the yeast. Put that in the fridge and use it later for topping up (before and/or after stablization). So I'll have right at 5 gallons in the primary, and the same in the secondary.

Anyway, I'll post some pics of the Purdy Thing when it arrives, and see how it works.

Mark

You are topping up with an unfermented gallon?

If you're doing 5 gallons, you should be fine. But a six gallon kit with skins will need 1-2 gallons of headspace.

Looking forward to seeing your pics and hearing your review.

I don't think I'll ever actually need the full gallon to top up. And I probably won't end up with a full extra gallon. But yeah, that was my plan, generally. I guess the other option is to put it in a 1 gal glass "carboy" (jug) with an air lock and do it contemporaneously.... but then, what happens when I have to use the 1 gal to top up the 5 gal batch? Then I'll have too much head space in the 1 gal...?

It sure is a nice looking piece of equipment, but in wine world I think that you could spend the money better on things like a fermentataion chamber for temperature control during fermentation or something else of the likes. However.. I do give ya.. It sure looks nice.

You can add back the 1 gallon around day 4, after the main fermentation has subsided. Just to be on the safe side, may add back 1/2 gallon on day 4, and the rest on day 5.

Back