one pound of sugar is equal to 2 cups?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
Unable to actually weigh the 2 pound of sugar I just put into an experimental gallon of mixed berry wine, I put in4 cups, 1 cup dry measure =8 oz? Right? Or is it different? This put my SG at 1.080.I added a little more to get it to 1.085.
Just unsure whether the measure goes the same!
Thanks for your help!

A pint is a pound the world round.
2 cups = 1 pint = 1 pound
smiley20.gif

Thanks!It just didn't appear to look the same as buying a two lb bag...

Two cups of sugar will come very close to 1 lb of sugar.....but using fluid ounces to measure weight ounces is not the same thing....sorry guys...

Bert said:
Two cups of sugar will come very close to 1 lb of sugar.....but using fluid ounces to measure weight ounces is not the same thing....sorry guys...

To add onto this- sugars also vary in density. Granulated sugar is 7. something ounces and brown sugar is about 6 ounces per cup. The most accurate way is to weigh( but dry measure is usually pretty close).

The smartest move you did there smikes was to rely on your hydrometer. While the old kitchen rhyme will always put you close, its not exact like a scale..but then your post did start off.."unable to actually weight the sugar." My two cups always weights exactly one pound, but then I fill it to the line while its on my scale!
smiley36.gif

Also, what you weigh in the winter, when there's next to no moisture in the air will probably not weight the same during the dog days of August. As far as ingredients like sugar, try to keep them sealed in a container that really seals. Like Tupperware. It's amazing how much moisture sugar can hold.
smiley19.gif

The advantage of metric over English measure is that there's no confusion with things like ounces. English measure has volume ounces and weight ounces. They aren't the same. Metric doesn't have that problem.
**Nobody hit me for saying that there's an advantage to metric. I'm just saying it, not saying we need to convert.**

Who would dare hit a Princess?
smiley36.gif
And to think Allll those years ago we learned metric cuz we were gonna switch to it just any day now!
smiley5.gif

I never weigh sugar as even even with the same fruits given each individual fruit will have a different sugar level as they ripen differently and most recipes on the web are designed for very high abv as lots of you know. I add all my fruit then just gradually add my sugar till I have my abv. I sometimes use the (2 ounces or 4 level tbls. will raise your SG by .005)

Bert said:

On this note, how would you quantify honey? I figured you can't go by the fluid ounce to determine poundage since its denser than water.
I want to try making mead if I can muster up the courage to do it.

Honey is about 11.something lbs. per gallon. depending on the water content....I just call it 12lbs. and go from there....for the end result I still use my hydrometer...hope this helps..

Bert said:
Honey is about 11.something lbs. per gallon. depending on the water content....I just call it 12lbs. and go from there....for the end result I still use my hydrometer...hope this helps..

Thanks Bert,

I read after googling it that the avg sg of honey is approximately 1.425 so doing the simple math I got 1.425*8=11.4

But I can see that the hydrometer will be the most accurate way of telling.

When I figure additions in wine making I do everything in metric, because it is easier. The only time English units are easier is in evaporative cooling, because it takes 1000 BTU to convert 1 lb of liquid water to 1 lb of water vapor. 1 BTU is the amount of energy required to raise the temp of 1 lb of water from 32F to 33F.

Back