One handed winemaker....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerardVineyard

Reaction score
Last June I suffered a stroke and lost the use of my right hand, my dominant hand. This yr I want to get back into wine making and need to know what things I can do to help myself along.

Sorry to hear but hope you’re back on the right track... I also hate to make a plug but the all in one would be a great addition for you. It would prevent you from having to lug around full carboys and once you have it all set up can easily control the pressure regulator with one hand.

Besides that
Carboys
Bins
Spoon
Wine kits
Chemicals
All in One
Tools etc etc

Gerald thats pretty inspiring and a real love of the hobby to want to go on with it. Sorry to hear about the stroke. First off what you're asking of us, is something only you can answer and keep us posted as to how you're making out. To help you along though, the first thing I would get is a friend or younger family member that wants to learn the hobby under your direction and let them help you. The next thing I would look at is the "ALL in One" Bottle filler for racking, filtering and bottling. I hope this helps and I hope you keep this thread going, keeping us up to date on how you're making out. Good luck!

Thanks hocke and runningwolf. I do have a son who helped me bottle some wine in December to give as gifts, I just want to know if there are any other tips a person may have to help me out. I do have all the needed things that hocke mentioned, minus the "All In One", something to look at.

I agree with the above posts. A vacuum racking, degassing, and bottling system like the Allinone will be a big help.

YOu need a drill mounted stirrer and a battery operated drill to help stir things up very well. Autosiphons will make your life easier, they also sell a clip to help hold it in a carboy. Are you going to be using glass carboys or plastick better bottles? What are the size of the batches you want to make, 1 gallon batches no problem for your, over 3 its going to be hard to lug a 3 gallon carboy around safely full of wine. Good Luck, WVMJ

Do you have a floor corker?

Best of luck as you bounce back and adapt. Please keep us posted!

Sara

Saramc, yes I indeed have a floor corker. WVMJ, yes I do have everything you mentioned, even the glass carboys.

Yes I believe that the Allinone could defintley hep you out a lot. You would have someone connect the hoses prior to using the system . Other than that - I believe you should be able to handle most everything - make sure you put handles on all your carboys for better gripping

If you would like to talk more - or if I can custom make something for you to help - please PM me

It's not from peer pressure, but I vote for the All In One also! I've read the amazing feedback from this versatile product and it sounds like just the tool you need. I don't have one *yet*, but it's on my wish list... along with a digital Free So2 Meter :D

I was just thinking, we also have a foot powered jack up cart we use at work for heavy paper cases. Being able to lower and raise your carboys with your foot or the release lever could be a real help too!

Doug I like the thought of getting the insurance company to pay for the wine making supplies as "therapy".

We are sort of "handicap" too as we both have torn rotary cuffs, opposite shoulders.

The All In One pump has been a life saver for us!

Our primary pails sits on the kitchen table so there is no lifting. We rack right on the table into 1 gallon carboys. We use 1 gallon carboys for all of our wine when we rack to limit the lifting.

So you might consider using the 1-gallons instead of a 3 or 6 gallon carboy. Big difference in the weight!

Good luck to you!

Latest posts

Back