Old wine new Barrel?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vranac

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone..... first post... hope somebody can give some advice!!

I am making wine for the second year, last year was what I would class as reasonably successful, (considering first attempt) so this year I splashed out on a Barrel.... question is I have lasts years wine in a couple of 54 lt. glass carboys... The wine is sound.. would it benefit from a couple of weeks in the barrel before I rack this years vintage in... or is it too late in the day to oak this wine?

many thanks..

2 weeks won't do much for the wine as far as concentration and micro oxidation but it will certainly oak the wine if this is like you say a brand new barrel. Biggest question is can the wine take the oak? Have you already added oak but you think it needs a bit more? If it can take the oak put it in, it won't hurt the wine but I would taste it every week for the oak level. If this is a bigger barrel (40-50L) it may be able to stay longer than a few weeks. Perhaps as long as a month or more.

The wine has never seen any wood .... Its got a good fruity structure... maybe lacking a bit of body... (maybe the wood will give it that?).... I got a 50lt Barrel as backup / extra capacity... so I will try that first.....

I was considering using some Glycerine ( would prefer not to if possible) anybody got experience with that?

The wine has never seen any wood .... Its got a good fruity structure... maybe lacking a bit of body... (maybe the wood will give it that?).... I got a 50lt Barrel as backup / extra capacity... so I will try that first.....

I was considering using some Glycerine ( would prefer not to if possible) anybody got experience with that?

Hi Vranac, what kind of wine is it? I'd suggest adding it to the barrel for at least a few months and putting your new wine into the demijohns. Even three short months in the barrel will drastically improve your wine. How big is your primary barrel?

BTW Vranac is one of my favorite wines!

I can't help you with your questions, but I'd sure like to see the barrel if you don't mind posting at least one pic of it.

Gotta watch those new barrels. A 50lt is still pretty small. Two months could end of being a little too long, so after the first three weeks I'd be sure to open it and taste it about every week. Once it is over oaked, there's not much you can do.

Latest posts

Back