Old Vine Zin Starting SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
Happy Friday!

I started a CC Showcase Old Vine Zin with grape pack. What should the starting SG be on this wine? The instruction don't really say. The instructions state that the SG should be 1.00 or less after day 10 when moving to secondary.

Thanks!

Not always, but Zins tend to have a little higher ABV. It will likely start at above 1.095 to 1.105, but that's just ballpark; it could be a little higher. You should be sure to take the starting SG, once you are ready to pitch the yeast. You wil need it to calculate the ABV of your wine.

I am just finishing secondary fermentation on the CC Lodi Old Vine Zin, and it started at 1.081, which was real close to what the instructions indicated (don't recall the exact number, but I was comfortable that I was in the right ballpark).

I am just finishing secondary fermentation on the CC Lodi Old Vine Zin, and it started at 1.081, which was real close to what the instructions indicated (don't recall the exact number, but I was comfortable that I was in the right ballpark).

Depending on how dry the wine settles, that would result in an ABV of approx 11.1%. That's pretty low for a Zin. However, I have never made Zin from a kit, so I don't know how they run.

If that kit comes with a grape pack, I would assume it would have been higher, though.

Depending on how dry the wine settles, that would result in an ABV of approx 11.1%. That's pretty low for a Zin. However, I have never made Zin from a kit, so I don't know how they run.

If that kit comes with a grape pack, I would assume it would have been higher, though.

The CC Lodi kit does come with a grape pack, but like I said, it was in the right range per the instructions. I thought the same thing about the low ABV, and it doesn't look like the SG is settling very low (~ 0.998). But this is my first kit, so I'm taking it all per the instructions until I learn a bit more.

The CC Lodi kit does come with a grape pack, but like I said, it was in the right range per the instructions. I thought the same thing about the low ABV, and it doesn't look like the SG is settling very low (~ 0.998). But this is my first kit, so I'm taking it all per the instructions until I learn a bit more.

Not trying to argue with you.

Usually when I add a grape pack, I will stir it in really well and wait several hours before I check the SG. The grape pack can significantly increase to SG of the must, once it is stirred in well. It is easy to get an SG increase of .005 to .010 out of one.

The instructions suggest to wait 12-24 before taking an SG because of the grape pack. My starting SG is close to 1.10. Does that sound ok?

On monday night I started the CC Sonoma Pinot Noir with the grape pack. Grape pack alone had an SG of 1.086ish. Added the Grape pack and stirred and the SG rose to 1.106. Checked it again Tuesday morning and I was still at 1.106.

I've not done a lot of grape pack kits but am guessing you are in the ball park.

Also, fermentation doesn't seem to be going. There are small bubble at the top, but nothing too big yet. Does that sound okay?

Well it's good to know that I"m not crazy or have messed up! Thanks Jordan :)

Chevs, I looked back through my records and my starting SGs ranged from a low of 1.092 to a high of 1.110. The 1.092 was a Mosti Mondiale All Juice without a grape pack but I did add raisins.

Regarding your wine, what is the ambient temperature and the temperature of the wine? I would try to get the wine to about 75 degrees F.

Last edited:
Thanks Rocky! So my 1.10 isn't out of the ballpark? That's good to know. The primary is in a room that is pretty stable between 70-72 degrees. I am starting to see more bubble and smelling more of the fermentation. Love that smell!

You will be fine. A little higher temperature would be helpful, but 70-72 is fine. Some people prefer a slower ferment feeling that it extracts more flavor.

Latest posts

Back