RJ Spagnols Old Liebfraumilch Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomR

Reaction score
Here is a quick question. As I was cleanning up I found a couple of old kits that I bought at a close out awhile ago. When I checked the date on the box it was 8/2011. I figgured what the hell so today I started one and the color of the juice was just like apple juice. This is a Liebfraumilch and I am not familar with the juice. Does this sound right. Can the juice oxidize in the sealed bag? It smelled fine and everything seems normal. Even the yeast took off in a starter I made.

IF the yeast took off and the juice doesn't smell I bad I think you are good to go. Probably need to replace the K-sorbate if there's an F pack. I think that's the most sensitive chemical normally found in a kit.

Good call. I forgot about the sorbate. I need a fresh bottle for a strawberry, mango, Apple I am working.

I have done two Liebfraumilch kits in the last two years and it does look like apple juice, raw unfiltered apple juice. It will be fine, don't rush it. It may take up to 6-8 weeks to get the final clearing. As usual the area that you had it stored in plays heavily on the life of the kit. Mine took at least 12 months aging before it really developed and full flavor that wasn't sharp.

Thanks. That answers all my questions. I was worried since it looked so dark for a white wine. I am not planning on rushing it at all. The instructions are too quick for my tastes. I’ll probably bulk age it for some time before bottling.

I personally would not bother with a low end kit over 2 years old or a high level kit over a year old. Not saying it couldn't be alright and make a decent wine, just that I wouldn't bother.

As long as your kit is stored in a cool place out of the sun and there is air leaks in the kit it will be fine.

I personally would not bother with a low end kit over 2 years old or a high level kit over a year old. Not saying it couldn't be alright and make a decent wine, just that I wouldn't bother.

Last year I started 19 kits and at least half fall into the old high level group. The money i save lets me buy a couple RQ's at full price. Of course i don't have any fresh kit samples to compare mine to, but i can't imagine how they could be any better.

cheers

I just racked a RJS Grand Cru Malbec off lees that was at least 3 years old, that tasted great. If stored correctly no problem.

Latest posts

Back