Old Carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zog

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across a stash of about 20 carboys in a friend's barn today. They were purchased in the 60s and 70s by my friend's father for making wine. They may have been purchased used. Most look to be 5 gallon, with a few larger and a few smaller. My friend will sell these to me and I'd like to give him a fair price. I've seen modern used 5 gallon carboys listed on craigslist for about $15. I've seen posts of people buying them as low as $6. But these are quite old and I wonder if they have "antique" value. I'm actually in need of about 10 of them for my own use. Any opinions? Thanks.

I personally would give him - like you mentioned 6 dollars a piece for the complete lot or so . I have purshased carboys for 1 dollar per gallon for carboys.

Well I've heard of folks on here snagging them for as much as $25.00 each. I think $15 is a good price if you need them, $10.00 is a great price. Like Steve said, I would offer a price for the entire batch ($6-8 each), take them home and shine them up. Relist the ones you don't need on Craigs list for $20 and be willing to come down in price. Hopefully you'll recover the costs for the ones your keeping. Be up front with your friend on what your plan is.

I don't see any "antique" value in them. Good luck and keep us posted on how you make out. Remember location has everything to do with pricing. I can buy brand new 6 gallon carboys for $32 in my town.

New carboys are about 20-25 bucks where i come from and typicaly at garage sales I pay 5 or 6 bucks for used ones , I have about 40 of them all bought used , can't say as I've ever paid more than that for any of them .

The big demi johns (15 gallons) usually go for 20 bucks.

New carboys are about 20-25 bucks where i come from and typicaly at garage sales I pay 5 or 6 bucks for used ones , I have about 40 of them all bought used , can't say as I've ever paid more than that for any of them .

40? ...............
eek.gif
................. 40!?

WOW I thought I was getting alot and I have 4 lol

but then again my winery is a 10x10 spare room that is full of stuff :<

40? ...............
eek.gif
................. 40!?

WOW I thought I was getting alot and I have 4 lol

but then again my winery is a 10x10 spare room that is full of stuff

bundle them together for sure, Antique value doesn't really come into play for glass carboys, unless they're those special ones from Italy or France. I would prolly give him between 7-10 dollars pre carboy...you have to remind him they were just sitting in a barn, not being used. Or tell him you'll trade 2 bottles of wine per carboy

I'll buy those used demijohns all day for $20. I have never seen a used demijohn here! The closest new ones are 150 miles from here at $69.95.

The least I have ever paid for a used carboy here is $15. I have friends out scouting for them all the time. Hard to find in these parts. Saw an ad where a guy had 20 fivers for $20 each, 80 miles from me. Got in touch, he already had just 2 left, not worth the trip.

as was mentioned before in a different thread, i remember when i bought my equipment about 7 years ago....the going price for a brand new mexican 6 gallon was about 20 bucks....lol...how the times have changed.....everything keeps going up and up....except my paycheck, that is....:slp

Latest posts

Back