WineXpert Oh No???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBHarris

Junior
Reaction score
What have I done...10 days after stabilising and Clearing WE Woodbridge Cab...it has not cleared. When I cleared etc. I used my trusty wine whip and stirred the heck out of the lees. Now it won't go away???? I can still see the "saw dust oak" suspended in the wine...what to do?....what to do??? masta...smurfe..waldo...somebody????????? Edited by: JBHarris

Sounds like it might still be full of CO2. Did you bring the wine up into the 70s when you degassed?

I've had that happen to one of my wines that just refused to clear until I degassed it properly.

What was the SG when you stabilized and and added fining? 10 days isn't a long time so don't get too worried yet....matter of fact don't worry at all as we will help you through this.Edited by: masta

What clearing agent was used JB? Dean may be right. If it still has a lot of CO2 it may not clear properly. I would try degassing it again and see what happens.

Call me nuts call me crazy, I am both! However when degassing I have a better feel for it if I do it the grunt way, with a long spoon and arm power. I have used the fizz-x, and like stirring it by hand better. I get it going real good in one direction and then slowley go the opposite, and I have gotten great degassing results doing this.

Thanks for all the replies guys..to answer some questions:

It was 73 degrees F
The SG .996
I used Chitosan and metabisulfite and sorbate
The WE kit instructions say wait 8 days..this is what has caused some consternation.
and as a matter of fact I whipped longer this time than I've done with my other kits.
Should I use more fining and clearing agents if I degass again????

Thanks again

8 hours for what? to clear? no clarifier in the world world that fast, especially chitosan. It more likely says at least 8 days. My Barolo wasnt degassed correctly and everything foated to the top instead of the bottom. I had to keep gently shaking it until it all fell down but lets give it some time before you do that if this happens to you!

ummm wade...thanks for the reply...but if you'll notice my post did say 8 days.......

Oops, sorry! For some reason my mind read 8 hours.
smiley9.gif

I have had problems with degassing too. Even after MANY minutes of stirring alternate direction with drill and SS mixer there is still alot of gas coming off. So I went to the automotive store and got a brakeline vacuum pump and it works fantastic. I first stir with the drill because I am adding the additives and clearing agents and once that is done I use the vacuum pump and get a ton more gas off.

20070226_211307_DSCF2177_Medium.JPG

Just to give a good example of the importance of degassing I have a peach mead that had almost all the solids still floating. I degassed and within 48 hours all the solids were at the bottom.

doc...sounds like a good idea...I'll ask again..do I need to add more chitosan etc. and then stir again..or do just go ahead and stir??

JB...First ensure that your wine is a nice warm 70 degrees or above and then stirr it again. Just be careful not to let a vortex form, thereby drawing more oxygen into the wine.

Just stir when it's warm enough and then let it sit. Givethe clearing agent that is in there a chance to do it work.

docbee:
Interesting idea with the brake vacuum pump. I notice a gauge on it...how much pressure do you pump your carboy up to, or does it matter? Are brake vacuum pumps expensive? We have a food sealer at home that works basically on the same principle ... was wondering if it would work the same?

waldo....ah no vortex..I think we may have hit on the problem. I will try that and let everyone know how it turns out. Thanks to everybody that has helped me with this issue! FYI I live in Houston so, getting something above 70 degrees isn't that difficult!Edited by: JBHarris

I hate to keep beating a dead horse here but I’m still a bit confused.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I'm having a similar problem with my WE Gewurztraminer as JB is having
with the <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Woodbridge</st1:place></st1:City> Cab………………wine not clearing.

<H1 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt">Questions…</H1>

should temp be up around 70 deg before re-stirring ?
should the temp stay at that level until clear ?
should it be re-stirred vigorously like when the wine was being degassed initially
or
should it just be gently stirred to get the lees back into suspension ?
after re-stirring when might you expect to see some clearing ?

EC

should temp be up around 70 deg before re-stirring ? Yes since the warmer a liquid is the less gas it can hold in solution.

<?:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>should the temp stay at that level until clear ? Once it is degassed the temperature isn't as important
should it be re-stirred vigorously like when the wine was being degassed initially<O:p></O:p>
or<O:p></O:p>
should it just be gently stirred to get the lees back into suspension ? Stirred vigorously because if the reason it isn't clearing is because of dissolved CO2 then you are degassing again.
after re-stirring when might you expect to see some clearing ? You should notice clearing in 7-10 days.Edited by: masta

You guys are scarring me!!!!
smiley3.gif
I read a lot about this degassing on this forum, and really don't want to get into that experience. Vortex?
smiley5.gif
Sorry, but what do you mean byVortex?Edited by: jsmahoney

Vortex. The tornado formed when vigorously stirring liquids in the same direction. Edited by: docbee

Latest posts

Back