# of fruit per gallon of mead (melomel)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montyfox

Reaction score
I'm interested in making a blueberry melomel following the recipe by Waldo. However, I have noticed that the amount of fruit differs from the formula I use with fruit wine. When making friut wine I usually follow a rule of thumb of 3 to 4 pounds fruit per gallon of wine. In Waldo's recipe I see that this is not the case. Is there something different about using honey that requires less fruit or is it still just a matter of taste?
I checked the Batch Calculator on gotmead.com and using 3 to 4 pounds of fruit per gallon of mead still shows good begining SG levels. But, will that overpower the wine? Just checking before I start something.

Thanks in advance. Monty

Melomels are typically supposed to be lighter on fruit flavor and heavier on the honey flavor and they are good that way too but I always like a heavier fruit flavor.

If you are adding fruit up front (in the primary) add more, if you are waiting and adding the fruit in the secondary you can get away with adding less. The reason is the more active up front fermentation can drive off the fruit aroma.
VPC

Not Monty but I use 6 1/2 on the jugs I got from the wine shop and 8 on the apple juice jugs I picked up from the store.
VPC

Latest posts

Back