Oaked Noble Muscadine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A while back I posed the question as to whether to Oak a batch of my Noble Muscadine. Surprisingly the general consensus was not to. Well after a lot of thought I went a head and did it anyway seeing how I had 15 gallons still in the carboys aging. Anyway on April 9 I added 2 oz of medium French toast oak to 5 gallons. I decided to give it a try so out came the baster and I pulled a sample. I have to say I am not at all disappointed in the decision to oak this. My sg was 1.006 and in my opinion this is amazing and a totally different wine.

I need to sort through my bottle supply then I'll be bottling. I'll let you kow further after I have a larger sample.

I bottled a gallon of this initial oaking for Julie's party in July. I added the oak to a 3 gallon carboy after bottling the gallon. Tonight I bottled the 4 gallons that were left after her party. Wow, the additional oak is outstanding. I have 10 gallons of Noble left in the basement. I'm going to be going to the brew store tomorrow for more Medium French toast oak. Just have to decide if I oak both or only one of the 5's.

Anyone who makes Muscadine has to try this with at least a gallon. You won't be sorry.

Well you sold us on it, I'll be oaking a 5g batch this fall.

Is your muscadine wine pretty sweet? Most people make it sweeter than I can stand to drink. I've made a batch separated into dry, semisweet, and something between semi and sweet. Drinking the dry muscadine wine, I can see why most people prefer it sweet. I like it ok, but it would be like sipping expensive Scotch. Most people wouldn't like it.

Is your muscadine wine pretty sweet? Most people make it sweeter than I can stand to drink. I've made a batch separated into dry, semisweet, and something between semi and sweet. Drinking the dry muscadine wine, I can see why most people prefer it sweet. I like it ok, but it would be like sipping expensive Scotch. Most people wouldn't like it.

I sweetened mine to 1.006-1.008. I don't like it extremely sweet and this range seems to suit the tastes of myself and my wife for the muscadine.

Latest posts

Back