OAK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
Reading Scubaman's post and the replies about oak in his Zin got me to wondering about my Cab and Sangiovese. I've used medium toast French oak cubes in both after fermentation. Does anyone know how long this type of oak remains beneficial? In other words, how long until it's spent?

K2GB//I've been told that it can be dried out in the oven and used over again,I say once you've used it ,you'ved used it,when I use it in stage 1 and if I think I need deeper oak tones than I replace it with new ones at 2 stage,I think you'll find 2 nice hand fulls at stage 1 are very nice,but thats were differences in crafting come into play,its all up to you your the wine maker at your winery.
smiley14.gif

You have a higher alcohol content now that it is in the secondary so the extraction happens quicker than the primary. However the cubes have less surface area so it takes longer than powder. I generally leave it in there about 2 weeks to a month and sample the wine. Leave it in until you get the taste you like and then rack off the oak soon after(it will fade a bit in the bottle with age).

I use Stavin oak beans/cubes to add extra flavor/character to my wines and I have yet to have 3 ounces of cubes sit for less than the Stavin-recommended eight-week minimum. The first time, I sampled each week. Now, I just sample at week 6, week 8 and then determine how far I want to go from that point depending on my own tastebuds and intuition.
Stavin notes that you can reuse the oak if you put it immediately into a primary or similar environment, but I have yet to want to risk that. I'd rather start fresh, as the cost of the oak beans isn't as formidable as throwing a barrel out after each use.

- Jim

Thanks all. Think I'll leave the oak in a while longer. Tasted both reds this past weekend and was just starting to detect a hint of oak. I was considering removing the oak cubes and replacing them with a new batch, but it doesn't sound like that's necessary.

KenEdited by: K&GB

Ken,

Note also that the impact of the oak will fade over time, so you can actually go a little past what you feel is right if you are going to age the wine for a bit. I have read several posts on other forums where people document forgetting about the oak cubes and the wine tasting like straight wood, only to have the wine tame down very nicely over the next year or two. If you are using the Stavin beans, just leave them in right like the directions state and see how it all turns out. Stavin notes eight weeks as a minimum contact time.

- Jim

The French Oak spirals that I use say they are depleted after 6weeks. I would assume your cubes would have to be close to that.
I have reused them if I only usethe woodin a batch for a couple of weeks, I dry them out and then put them into a oven at just over 170 degrees to kill off any bugs that may be in the wood. The few times I have done this I have not had a problem.

Latest posts

Back