Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lonzo

Reaction score
ok gonna start a white grape dry soon. gonna put a package of oak chips in with it. my first chardonnay kit had me put in the chips during primary fermentation. i will not be making this one from a kit. sounds like it would be better to put the chips in the secondary and let the wine age a lil with the chips. is this right or should i put the chips in the primary? thx

I just put oak chips in all my wines from 2011. The wines are stable and clear for the most part. Used a combination of American light and French medium in each. Probably going to leave alone for at least a few months. I see no prob in using at at any stage. After all the big guys bottle directly out of the barrels, right? Good luck

I use oak chips and powder in the primary and oak cubes in the secondary. Depending on how much oak you like in your wine, you can do it a number of times to get it to that level.

I have always added my oak chips (American med toast or French med toast) during the aging process. The amount depends upon the wine.

It will remain there 6-12 months. I've been told the flavor comes off the oak quickly so either stage is fine providing you enjoy it's flavor.

Latest posts

Back