Oak question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcavan01

Reaction score
What types of wine work best with oak, peach, apple, cranberry, grape, blueberry, apricot, white, dark?

I like grape and dark wines. I have done whites with oak, but you gotta watch it they can easily get over-oaked. Blueberry would be interesting to try with some oak, never done it. Same with perhaps blackberry.

Fruit wines, I like the fruit taste and not anything else.

Oak

Thanks Jim, that's kind of what I thought. I didn't think fruit wines would lend themselves to oak. I do wonder about blackberry though.

Tom

Im currently oaking a Black Currant port with Hungarian Oak cubes. But, im aiming for a mildy bourbon like flavour profile.

Anybody use medium Hungarian Oak cubes with Blueberry? I have some in a carboy right now aging wandering to add some or not. Can you add them anytime before bottling?

I do not have any experience with blueberry, but im pretty sure you can add them in whenever you want. Just remember the oak factor will fade a little bit over time.

Latest posts

Back