oak leaf recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnthemc

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has heard of white oak leaf wine.
A new member at our mushroom club brought in a bottle of this wine and gave it to the club president and said he made 15 gallons and how fantastic it was.
I really didn't get to talk to him about it but I've been intrigued by it since the meeting.
John

QMG, bottled 74 bottles of wine the past 2 AM's,while waiting for the temp to get above 50. Then after lunch raked all those oak leaves we never got too last fall! I can see 5-5 gal. carboys full of Oak Leaf Wine! Roy

can you please tell me what the process is? Do you have a recipe you can give me?
Thanks,
John

Sorry, No recipe, just fantasizing about what to do with ALL those Oak leafs. I bottled Chianti, Sangria & a Grand Cru Cab. May have to check Jack Kellers site to see if he has an Oak Leaf recipe. Roy

I was wondering if anyone has heard of white oak leaf wine.
A new member at our mushroom club brought in a bottle of this wine and gave it to the club president and said he made 15 gallons and how fantastic it was.
I really didn't get to talk to him about it but I've been intrigued by it since the meeting.
John

John, I have to say I have never heard of anything like this. I don't even understand how it would work. Most wines come from the fruit or flower of a plant and not the foilage. As far as taste is concerned, I cannot imagine what an oak leaf would impart to the wine.

I don't mean to question your posting, but are you sure he was not talking about a white wine from Oak Leaf Vineyards in Ripon, California? They are a really good producer and make many varieties of wines. Perhaps two thoughts got mixed.

I have an older wine recipe book and it is in there.

1 gallon oak leaves, 2 oranges, 1 gallon boiling water, 1 lemon, and 31/2 lbs. sugar.

Method:

Young leaves will give a different flavour from those picked later in the year when they are brown-tinted, so here, really are two wines.

Rinse the leaves in clean cold water, then place them in a large pan or crock and pour over them the boiling water. Leave the leaves to steep for 24 hours, then strain the liquid into a boiler large enough to take both it and the sugar, with a little room to spare. Add the sugar, the juice of the fruit, and the grated peel, being careful to include no bitter white pith. Bring the whole to the boil and keep it simmering for 20 minutes. tThis serves the triple purpose of extracting the flavours and essences from the fruit skins, thoroughly dissolving the sugar, and sterilizing the liquor. Allow to cool, strain through a large nylon sieve or muslin, and when the temperature has dropped to 70 degrees F. add your chosen wine yeast or a level teaspoon of granulated yeast, pour into fermenting jar, and fit trap. This wine usually works vigorously, and will certainly do so if you include a little yeast nutrient as well as the fruit juice. It is therefore as well to leave little head space in the fermenting bottle for the first four or five days, keeping a little liquor by in a cotton-wool-plugged bottle and topping up the main jar when the first vigor of the ferment has subsided; otherwise it may foam out through the trap. when the wine has cleared (usually about two to three months) siphon of the yeast sediment and keep for at least six months before use. Walnut leaf wine can be made in the same way.

That is all from the recipe book I have never made this before but it may be some help to some of you.

We have a plant here called Kudzu. It was brought in and planted for soil erosion. Now it has taken over huge areas and become a noxious weed. Side note, they are bringing in a parasite that is known to eat the plant and it dies from repeated defoliation.

Anyway the fellow at the wine supply store here said many make wine from the Kudzu.........

Just goes to show you that you never know!

Latest posts

Back