Cellar Craft Oak dust Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildBill

Reaction score
I have racked out of secondary on my CC showcase Old Lodi Zin kit. I wonder if the oak dust is going to settle out and compact into the Chitosan and Keilisol. I thought I might have been able to rack off of it but the finer stuff seemed to be suspended and traveled through. Is this one of the reasons the kits are supplied with the super kleer fining packets?

Normally by the time secondary is finished, the oak powder/dust has waterlogged and has settled out and onto the bottom. Maybe what you are seeing is not oak powder/dust. When did you add the oak dust - during primary or secondary?

I added during primary Robie. I think its ok. time will tell, I was just curious if it would fall out and stick to the lees on the bottom. I degassed so that may help too. This is one great kit. Tastes great before aging can't wait to try some in 6 months.

I am on my second of these kits and it is a wonderful wine. It drinks well right from the Secondary and that is a problem because it keeps disapperaing! What I did on the first kit was rack it out of the secondary, age for 6 weeks and bottle. It was great. I noticed some light sediment in some of the bottles, but I don't mind unfiltered wine, so it did not make a difference. I used the fining agents in the kit. I am going to age the second one a little longer, rack it a few more times and see if it clears more. So far it is the best one I have made.

Latest posts

Back