Oak Circle Vineyards

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking labels and good luck on those grapes. You'll have to keep us posted this year with more photos. How often do you water them?

Nice looking labels and good luck on those grapes. You'll have to keep us posted this year with more photos. How often do you water them?

This will be year 2 on the grapes. I cut them all the way back last december and will be growing the main trunks this year.

They get about 30 gallons a week during the hottest part of the summer.

My first harvest

After 3 years I finally got my first very small harvest of wine grapes. Lost most of my vines to the excessive heat but 2 vines have done pretty well. My older Muscat I have been able to bring back to life. It is producing really well. Also one of my Tempranillo vines is doing good and produced for the first time this year.

Got just enough grapes to make about a gallon of juice. I combined them both and am going to make a rosé type of wine. I'm using the Vinter's Harvest CY17 strain of yeast. This is more of an experiment if anything.

:rdo

grapes.jpg

Looking good! So how many vines are still alive?

my big red flame table grape vine is going strong and has a trunk as big as my forearm. However I didn't do any bird prevention on it and lost all of the grapes.

My 1 Muscat is doing really well. Got about 3 pounds of grapes off it this year.

I have 1 tempranillo going strong and producing and 1 vine that is struggling to survive.

I have 1 struggling Barbera and one that I lost.

I have 2 Voigneir vines left that are hanging in there but the few grapes clusters that survived turned to raisins in the heat.

So far I have lost 1 Barbara and 3 Viogneir vines which are all located in the direct sun. The vines that are doing well get a little bit of shade from other bushes/trees or structures in the yard.

Since I only have a few vines I stapled paper bags around the individual grape clusters to protect them from the birds. I was actually shocked when I pulled off the bags and I had grapes that looked like grapes. Kind of caught me by surprise.

Going for a Tavel style Rosé. My daughter helped me crush and after 2 days in the bucket with skins I pressed and removed the skins. Didn't get as much juice as I had hoped but it should make at least one bottle.
:dg

crush.jpg

Must.jpg

Rose_Primary.jpg

Latest posts

Back