Oak chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, those spirals look interesting. I hadn't heard of them. Will try that next time. ECKraus site says for chips: ...The only preparation necessary is to boil the oak chips in water for about 10 minutes. Once your wine has cleared and is ready for aging, rack it into a clean container and add the Toasted Oak Chips - typically 2 to 4 ounces for every 5 gallons - and allow to age 3 to 9 months.

Since I already bought chips I guess I will rack into a bucket, clean lees out of carboy, then add wet chips and rack back on top of them for more aging. Thanks all for your thoughts.

I don't understand the boiling of the chips. You're extracting all that goodness out of the chips by boiling.

oak tea

:hny if you start out with heavy roasted oak chips or spirals,and boil them ,what your left withh is a product thats call liquid oak,condemce that dowm and it attacks as a qiuiid oak enhancees espe=cially good for wjites were at the end a little oak would have been desirable,just add the liquid oah 4 0z. per gallon.:u

Bob, I heard an ideal flavor is to blend the American with the french 50/50 for a great taste. I have not tried it yet.

I can't say how they'll turn out yet, but I have batches of Syrah and Malbec that I've added 50/50 to. Time, as they say, will tell!

Back