Oak Chips

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuster1

Reaction score
Help. I started a batch of Mezza Luna Red today that instructed to add oak chips. How long should I leave the oak chips on the fermentation container?

Help. I started a batch of Mezza Luna Red today that instructed to add oak chips. How long should I leave the oak chips on the fermentation container?

I take it you're referring to the Winexpert Vintner's Reserve kit. I never made this particular kit but have found kits to be similar. The answer to your question is to keep the chips in place while the wine is in primary - until the SG is 1.010 or below. This should be 5-7 days depending on fermentation temperature. Don't bring the chips over to secondary.

It would help to open the primary lid about twice a day and push the chips down (with a clean and sanitized spoon or paddle) to stop them from drying out.

Tony P.

I assume your instructions say to add the oak chips at the start of the primary fermentation. I would leave 'em in until it's done fermenting (I "ferment to dry" in the primary), where S.G. is down to 1.000 or lower. That usually takes a week or so for me, and then I would rinse and transfer them to the carboy for 2-4 weeks. The oak will be extracted before 4-5 weeks is up, but they do no harm once they are 'neutral'. By that time, your wine will have dropped quite bit more sediment, and you can leave the oak chips behind when you rack again. I would then bulk age it another 2-3 months, rack again and bottle (although a few more months bulk aging wouldn't hurt either).

How do I remove the oak chips? They are floating on the surface of the fermentor

Get a large kitchen strainer, sanitize it with k-meta, rinse it and scoop out the chips. You will get most of them plus you can rinse them in the strainer.

After straining them should I discard the oak chip or are they needed in another stage of the wine making process ?

If the oak chips are in during fermentation - IMO - I would just discard them in case there is yeast left on the wood...

Add new chips post fermentation to age.

If you miss straining out some of the oak and small pieces of it get into your secondary, they won't hurt a thing. They will eventually sink to the bottom and get racked off. By the time primary is done, they will have lost all their oaking ability, so discard them.

Back