Oak Barrel leak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casper

Reaction score
I received a wine barrel at Christmas from my friend.
This is not my first barrel, for the hydration I use the step from Akanagan Barrel Works see link below.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
http://www.winebarrels.com/barrelcare.asp<O:p></O:p>
When I introduce water and stand the barrel in one end was leaking a lot, fortunately it stop, I flip it got some leak and it stop too. <O:p></O:p>
I fill the barrel at 50 % to remove some oak flavor, 15 minute after it was leaking at the middle. Remove a bit of water to remove pressure and stop leaking, next day I fill the barrel with water a no leak. So 2 days after I put my wine In it, and it started leaking again. I turned the barrel to remove the pressure and still leaking.<O:p></O:p>
What should I do?

<O:p></O:p><O:p>
20110109_151105_IMAG0085.jpg
</O:p>

I had one do this also.....
Mine stopped in about a day or 2. Didn't leak alot in that time (looks about like yours)

Never had a problem since....

I put the wine 4 days ago and still leaking
smiley6.gif

I had no problemwith the one fromOkanagan Barrel Works, this one is a Cooperage JK of Hungary. Could not find a web site for this compagny.

typically you let your barrel stay w water in for 2-4 days...sounds like you didnt wait that long by what i read

storage between usage ...LONG periods!!!! you should also kep barrel 1/4 full of water....you should eventually be fine....get some wine to top this baby off as needed

I tranfer the wine back to a carboy and fill the barrel with water. The leak stop after 4 days and the wine is back to the barrel
smiley1.gif

I think you would love it Waldo...

It looks so cool in your house/wine making area.

People freak out when I give them a barrel tasting!!!

Anybody use an IV bag to keepa winebarrel full?
I found that picture on the internet.

20110126_125406_Barrel20IV.jpg

:)

that is unique...what a cool idea! I suppose you could also intravenously feed it so2 ;)

Well I decided to give it a try on one of my barrell,

Let you know if it is working well or not

20110126_213054_IMG_0341.jpg

Man that is great! I hope you dont mind if i keep that picture as a background on my pc

Latest posts

Back