November 22, 1963

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, add me to the 50-something demographic. However, I was 6 weeks old. I have been told where I was, but, obviously, do not remember it.

That's how old I was for the first lunar landing!! My father was in Vietnam and my mother and I were living with her parents. My grandmother woke me up and put me in front of the TV so I could say that I had watched it.

Obviously, I wasn't around when Kennedy was shot. But I clearly remember when Reagan was and will never forget that afternoon. My parents still talk about where they what they were doing when Kennedy was assasinated. I believe my mother still has the newspapers from the following day.

That's how old I was for the first lunar landing!! My father was in Vietnam and my mother and I were living with her parents. My grandmother woke me up and put me in front of the TV so I could say that I had watched it.
Well, obviously I was 5 (nearly 6) for that, and I do remember the 8 of us crowding around the B/W TV for the "small step."

But I clearly remember when Reagan was [shot].

Me too, but then again I was a senior in HS!

Well, add me to the 50-something demographic. However, I was 6 weeks old. I have been told where I was, but, obviously, do not remember it.

Hey SG, what's your birthday?... Mine is October 9th, 1963.... Don'remember the JFK shooting, but I do remember the landing on the moon.... Sitting in front on B&W tv..wow, how thing's changed in 50 years

Close, Ricky! I was Oct. 10. And a whole passel of my cousins grew up in Levittown, including one who was born Nov. 1963.

Lol... No kiddin, small world.... Happy belated birthday,.... Young buck!

My mom was 6 months old in Nov. '63..

I was the butt-end of that horrid "You know she's gonna grow up and have kids some day, right?" joke... Back when they said "in the blink of an eye" 'cause it was hard to imagine anything faster :)

I was 6 at the time and remember standing in the school yard and looking at the flag at half mast. That is my only memory of the time.

I was wondering how long it'd take before someone caught that :)

I was one but I still trying to find out what he did that supposed to have made him a great president. Other than he and his bro doing Monroe.

I was one but I still trying to find out what he did that supposed to have made him a great president. Other than he and his bro doing Monroe.

Julie: If you feel the following is too political for the forum, please feel free to delete this post.

You make a good point. When you think of it, he really did not do a good job....

1) He had ties to the mafia.
2) Bay of pigs
3) Cuban missile crisis (almost started a war with Russia)
4) Viet Nam (at least some of the earliest stages of that war)
5) He cheated on his wife with anything in a skirt
6) His spending on luxury while in office (Camelot was expensive)

So what made this so tragic? Why did he get away with all of this?

Back then, we did not hate our presidents. Kennedy represented youth and charisma. He had a very beautiful wife and two young children. People could not help but to look up to him. He was also the first Catholic president. Such a large portion of our population was (and still is) Catholic.

Then there is the way he was gunned down. Shot through the head while riding in a car with his wife. Think of poor Jacky-O. No woman should ever see a sight like that. To make matters even sadder, she then had to try to explain all of this to her kids.

Despite what you might think of Kennedy's politics, he was still a man with two small kids and a wife, who's life was cut short. It was tragic none the less

No JohnT, you are posting facts, not opinions. And yes, I agree with you, he was a man with a family and very tragic.

Here are some more facts

1) Kennedy served in the Navy during World War II ending his time as a lieutenant. He was given command of PT-109. When the boat was rammed by a Japanese destroyer, he and his crew were thrown into the water. He was able to swim four hours saving himself and a crewman, but aggravated his back. He received the Purple Heart and Navy and Marine Corps Medal and was hailed for his heroism.

2). To this day, John F. Kennedy's call for Americans to serve their country has remained an inspiring and memorable appeal. (Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country)

3. Among John F. Kennedy's most notable and long-standing accomplishments was the establishment of the Peace Corps, an organization that is now responsible for sending thousands of American volunteers around the world to help the needy.

4. It was John F. Kennedy's cautious and sensible approach to the standoff during the Cuban missile crisis that ultimately diverted a nuclear war with the Soviet Union and secured the removal of missiles from Cuba.

5. John F. Kennedy was committed to landing a man on the moon, and although it occurred after his death, it was his support of space exploration that helped make it happen.

6. John F. Kennedy's perseverance was instrumental in securing a limited nuclear test ban treaty with the Soviet Union.

7. It was John F. Kennedy's dedication that helped secure the passage of the Area Redevelopment Act, which assisted states that were suffering from high rates of unemployment.

8. Under John F. Kennedy's administration, laws were put in place to end segregation in interstate travel facilities.

9. John F. Kennedy helped promote the arts by holding concerts, plays, and musicals at the White House.

10. John F. Kennedy issued an executive order prohibiting discrimination in the sale or lease of housing that was financed by federally guaranteed loans or owned by the federal government.

I think much more would/could have been accomplished but he was only in office for less than 2 years before he was assassinated.

It was not meant to be political but I really don't care.

Their have been other presidents assassinated which had a much stronger impact on the nation and it's history than JFK but you only hear about him.

I was only 1 at the time so I only go by what I was educated on about history. My wife is a JGK fanatic and I have never understood the fascination with him.

Personally I am apathetic either way

1) Kennedy served in the Navy during World War II ending his time as a lieutenant. He was given command of PT-109. When the boat was rammed by a Japanese destroyer, he and his crew were thrown into the water. He was able to swim four hours saving himself and a crewman, but aggravated his back. He received the Purple Heart and Navy and Marine Corps Medal and was hailed for his heroism.

2). To this day, John F. Kennedy's call for Americans to serve their country has remained an inspiring and memorable appeal. (Ask not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country)

3. Among John F. Kennedy's most notable and long-standing accomplishments was the establishment of the Peace Corps, an organization that is now responsible for sending thousands of American volunteers around the world to help the needy.

4. It was John F. Kennedy's cautious and sensible approach to the standoff during the Cuban missile crisis that ultimately diverted a nuclear war with the Soviet Union and secured the removal of missiles from Cuba.

5. John F. Kennedy was committed to landing a man on the moon, and although it occurred after his death, it was his support of space exploration that helped make it happen.

6. John F. Kennedy's perseverance was instrumental in securing a limited nuclear test ban treaty with the Soviet Union.

7. It was John F. Kennedy's dedication that helped secure the passage of the Area Redevelopment Act, which assisted states that were suffering from high rates of unemployment.

8. Under John F. Kennedy's administration, laws were put in place to end segregation in interstate travel facilities.

9. John F. Kennedy helped promote the arts by holding concerts, plays, and musicals at the White House.

10. John F. Kennedy issued an executive order prohibiting discrimination in the sale or lease of housing that was financed by federally guaranteed loans or owned by the federal government.

I think much more would/could have been accomplished but he was only in office for less than 2 years before he was assassinated.

Glowin,

I have to agree with all that you listed. Thanks for shining the positive light and reminding us of all the good he did!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back