not fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimmer2

Reaction score
I started a batch of Vintners Harvest Peach using recipe on can

6 gallons:
1 96 oz can fruit base
2 cans puree
11 lbs sugar [made into simple syrup 1 part water 2 parts sugar, warmed on stove to melt sugar]
3 tsp acid blend
4 tsp yeast nutrient
2 1/2 tsp pectict enzyme
1/2 tsp tannin
I used K-meta in stead of campden tablets

Looking at package it says to add 1/2 tsp but THE WAY IT IS FOLDED I COULD HAVE READ THE 1/2 AS 2 tsp :slp:slp:slp

Poured all juice into primary,with a bag for fruit chunks. Then simple syrup was warm NOT HOT. I stirred all chemicals into a gallon of warm water before I added to must. I did not test temp before adding above solution, enough water to get to level

I mix all except yeast and it sat for 24 hours. Then I pitched montrachet wine yeast on the top. [This is what LHBS carries] sg was at 1.096 @ 78 degF

Has sat 48+ hours and no sign of fermentation yet.:?:?

I am planning on aerating by pouring from bucket to bucket a few times and re pitching yeast.

Should I just pitch on top again?

Any ideas would be GREAT

Well, your starting temp should be ok. Do you know the current temp of your must?

I doubt that the extra k-meta will greatly prevent fermentation from kicking off. Perhaps you got a bad packet of yeast? Have you checked the yeast's expiration date?

Well, your starting temp should be ok. Do you know the current temp of your must?

I doubt that the extra k-meta will greatly prevent fermentation from kicking off. Perhaps you got a bad packet of yeast? Have you checked the yeast's expiration date?

The brew belt has been on and the thermo strip is at 78 degF. Did not look at expire date but will when I get home tonight.

Have you been stirring the must? you should do this a couple times a day.

Sometimes that yeast takes a while to get going. Look at it very carefully, you may see tiny bubbles coming up to the surface. This would be an indication of fermentation underway.

You can also use your hydrometer to check fermentation once it has started.

No need to stir your must lightly. You may give it a decent stir but not vigorously.

What you are doing when you stir is you move the yeast around to the other sugars and nutrients as well as oxygen in your must. You are also incorporating new oxygen into your must for the yeast to use.

Sometimes that yeast takes a while to get going. Look at it very carefully, you may see tiny bubbles coming up to the surface. This would be an indication of fermentation underway.

You can also use your hydrometer to check fermentation once it has started.

No need to stir your must lightly. You may give it a decent stir but not vigorously.

What you are doing when you stir is you move the yeast around to the other sugars and nutrients as well as oxygen in your must. You are also incorporating new oxygen into your must for the yeast to use.

Thanks, I did not notice any tiny bubbles :(

Do you think I should just stir harder or should I pour from bucket to bucket a few times? Pitch new yeast or wait a couple days to see what happens?

I think you need to just give it a good stir everyday. I have had must take several days before it started to ferment.

Looks like the vote is for "just stir" so will do that

Thanks all! hopefully will be able to let you know that it started soon

If you give it a quick stir once then watch to see if tiny bubbles rush to surface like a can of pop it has started.

Again that yeast never seems to take off quick. I prefer Lalvin brand. They are very vigorous. Keep it warm even if you need to place on a piece of wood or corrugated board.

Stir a few times a day. Let us know tomorrow.

If you give it a quick stir once then watch to see if tiny bubbles rush to surface like a can of pop it has started.

Again that yeast never seems to take off quick. I prefer Lalvin brand. They are very vigorous. Keep it warm even if you need to place on a piece of wood or corrugated board.

Stir a few times a day. Let us know tomorrow.
I will stir it as soon as I get home, and watch for tiny bubbles.

Should I use a spoon or the wine degass rod?

Last edited:
Not sure if you sprinkled the yeast on your must or did a yeast starter. I always use a starter to give it an extra boost. You will be fine.

must is @ 74 degF and sg is 1.093

I stirred for 2-3 minutes with spoon, did not see any signs of tiny bubbles

1/2 vs 2 tsp of WHAT? Tannin? That was the only thing in the recipe that called for 1/2 tsp of anything.

My bad not very straight forward but it was kmeta instead of campden tablets and I used 2 tsp instead of a 1/2 tsp

the kmeta package said 1/2 tsp and I think I read it as 2 tsp

Last edited:
Next batch make a yeast starter it gets all the little yeasties fired up before you pitch them

Stirred 2x last night and once more this morning, no sign of bubbles yet. If none by tomorrow I will try a starter out of the must.

At this point that might be your best bet. Usually when you add a sanitizer you wait 24 hours for it to settle out before adding the yeast. Hopefully you can get it started with a fresh pack of yeast. Best of luck!

Back