not fermenting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point that might be your best bet. Usually when you add a sanitizer you wait 24 hours for it to settle out before adding the yeast. Hopefully you can get it started with a fresh pack of yeast. Best of luck!

I did wait over 24 hours. I think it was the addition of to much kmeta

started the yeast today around noon with some of the must, at 10 tonight it was bubbling good so stirred in another cup of must. see how it looks in the am. also gave the bucket a stir

Got home last night and the starter had died, was not much activity when i left for work but gave it a little stir then but it died sometime during the day. So dumped it down the sink. The expiration date on those were 2016. Maybe the montrachet wine yeast does not like peach? I had used the same yeast on the blackberry and it was fine.

I had some ec1118 so I put in warm water for 20 minutes, added it to 2 cups of the must and 1 tblsp of sugar. Let it sit for about 3 hours and dumped it in the primary. When i looked at it the morning it was working, gave it a stir and WOW it is going now. :db:db:

Last edited:
This has fermenting right along but more smell than normal, I did add some nutrient when it started smelling BUT now the smell is stronger. It is maybe a sour sulfur smell [according to my wife]? I did taste it and it tasted fine, a little sour but not bad. SG was at 1.020 last night which was down from 2 days ago of 1.035.

Any ideas?

I did add 4 to begin [when yeast did not start] and then I added 2 more after I got it to start about 4 days ago. This is a 6 gallon batch

Thanks..........I will add it when I get home from work, my wife left for the day and opened the window and closed the door to the room.

Maybe someone with more knowledge than I can shed some light. Does it smell like rotten eggs or sulfur????

First was montrachet wine yeast, but did not start

Then used EC1118 and it started

I did add 2 more tsp of nutrient last night and sg is @ 1.000 Smelled much better this morning

Back