Not clearing.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetwine

Advanced Idiot
Reaction score
SP is done, degassed and treated with sparkolliod a few weeks ago. It has dropped a small amount of sediment but hasn't cleared any. What should I do? Could it be pectic haze? Or what?:a1

What kind of slurry did you use? Was it from a fruit wine? If so, I'd treat with pectin enzyme :h

If you have hit it a fining agent and that didn't clear it - then i would addd 3/4 tsp of pectic per gallon of wine. You might be able to chill it as well - cooler temps help to clear.

I agree, pectic enzyme can be beneficial in certain circumstances. Also verify that you are completely degassed. Do you vacuum degas? If you shake the carboy so that it splashes around in the carboy and you get bubbling through the airlock, you could still have some gas in there. Warming it up some will help get excess gas out.

I agree, pectic enzyme can be beneficial in certain circumstances. Also verify that you are completely degassed. Do you vacuum degas? If you shake the carboy so that it splashes around in the carboy and you get bubbling through the airlock, you could still have some gas in there. Warming it up some will help get excess gas out.

No gas left. It was done with a starter not a slurry (didn't have one ready). It's a 1/2 gallon done with Corte de Blanc yeast (all I had at the time). It's dry, k-meta, sorbate and backsweetened. The hit it with sparkolloid about 4 weeks ago.

I might, I'm debating on just dringing it cause this was mostly a trial batch to see how much I liked it and try to get hubby hooked on one of my wines.... I'd love for it to clear though, more fun to drink a pretty wine.

:u
Checked it tonight and it's CLEAR!!! Lovin' it!!! Can't wait to drink it! Thanks to everyone for the help, the pectic did the trick!

Gonna F-pak this baby tonight, not enough lemon flavor. After it cleared it needed degassed again, wierd?!?

:u
Checked it tonight and it's CLEAR!!! Lovin' it!!! Can't wait to drink it! Thanks to everyone for the help, the pectic did the trick!
How long after you added the pectic did it take to clear? And what's an f-pack?

How long after you added the pectic did it take to clear? And what's an f-pack?

It took about 1-2 weeks. And search for F-pack o nhere for lots of info. You take juice and boil it down to about 1/3 of original volume to concentrate flavor. (F-pack=Flavor Pack)

I'll second the use of pectic enzyme. My first batch of SP cleared perfectly on its own. The second did not. I added pectic enzyme and within a day there was a clear line where it was clearing. That line gets a little lower each day. I'll start w/ pectic enzyme at the beginning of every batch of SP from here on.

Latest posts

Back