Not all 5 gal carboys are created equal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Wine Maker

Rocco
Reaction score
Any one ever notice that not all 5 gal carboys are the same size? I have about 15 of them. With some I get 24 bottles and others I get 25 - 26 bottles. Any way to thell the difference? The problem that I have is when I rack from one to the other. If I rack from a slightly smaller one to a larger one I end up with a topping problem. I recently started using a lable maker to indicate the size to try to aleviate the problem.

cpfan

Reaction score
Well I can answer the question for 6 US gallon catbots. The Italian ones are larger than the Mexican ones.

But I don't know about 5 US gallon carboys. Maybe your marking system will reveal the truth!!!

Steve

Wine Maker

Rocco
Reaction score
One of these days Steve I just have to fill and measure each one and mark accordingly. And to think I just figured this out after all this time making wine.

MUMBA

Reaction score
why dont you just buy a few pounds of glass marbles to drop in and top off
the larger ones

Wine Maker

Rocco
Reaction score
hmmm... interesting idea about the marbles. Good suggestion, this way I can keep the volume the same for each carboy. Thanks.

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
I just racked from a 5 gallon Mexican glass carboy to a plastic one and had about a quart left over?! I was forced to drink the excess.:d

Tom

Reaction score
I just racked from a 5 gallon Mexican glass carboy to a plastic one and had about a quart left over?! I was forced to drink the excess.:d
BOY !
And the things we have to go through for our hobby.. err (obsession) :r

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
You should put this in a wine bottle with small bung and airlock for topping up later unless there is no need for topping up later!

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
You should put this in a wine bottle with small bung and airlock for topping up later unless there is no need for topping up later!
I already have a 3L from the first racking. I racked it and added some wine from the carboy. It had been watered down some the first racking so I wanted to strengthen it some. I will probable need it when we go back into the glass carboy.

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
Update

I racked back into the glass carboy yesterday and needed 750ml to top off with!! The actual loss was maybe 1/3 of that??

Latest posts