Norton (Cynthiania)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Callow

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 5 gal pail of Norton Juice. Walker's doesn't carry it. Anyone in Missouri or Oklahoma know where I can find some?
Thanks!

I do know a couple places in central missouri - but it is probably too late. They have either sold or made wine from their harvest.

I looked for them a few weeks ago and couldn't find them either. I hear that MO and VA are good places to find them when they are in season. I also have heard that they sell out fairly quickly too

Last edited:
I surely would like to find some Norton next season. I read a book about the Norton and really want to try to make it. I had a glass of it awhile back and was blown over by how good it was. Missouri, Virginia and Iowa are places where quite a bit of it is raised.

If you find a source for it, let us know.

this year was a bad year for Norton, I picked 100#, after crushing and splitting into 2-7gal fermenters, I had to add over a gallon of water and 10# of sugar to each just to get it to slurry where I could stir it. Once I racked it into a carboy it came out to just 5 gal. Things were just too hot and dry this year. All I got were skins and seeds.

A google search should produce results... there are 3-4 winery's around Altus Arkansas that are growing Norton/cynthianas, but i am unsure about the availability juice buckets this late in the year.. wost comes to worst.. get your name on a couple of lists for next August... i bought mine this last august from a small vinyard they had 4 acres of the notons, and 4 of another and 3 of another.. and are supposed to be building a winery...i would just call all of the winery's from Arkansas to mid Missouri and ask.. you might hit a winner..
on a side not.. i really feel like my cythianna is going to finish out really nicely... it was harsh and had a high acid mouth burn to it the first few rackings.. but i have been patient.. and rack it every month (keep losing a bit to tasting though) and it is turning out fine.. Good luck

Get hold of me around Aug. I will try to forward some lists of winerys that have grapes/juice to sell. Doubt you will find anything now.

Latest posts

Back