normacorc corking issues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11C_Recon

Junior
Reaction score
nomacorc corking issues

So I corked 57 bottles using synthetic nomacorc before reading about the known issues with using the Portuguese floor corker. I did a silly thing and had the corks sitting in water while bottling.

Anyway I have had all 57 bottles laying on horizontally for 48 hours to see if there were any leaks. None found. Some have slight scoring, but not the entire length of the cork.

BUT..
Some of my corks turned out like this....

Also, the grapes are upside down, is that rude?

Is this only cosmetic or should these be recorked ASAP?

Anyone have a good procedure for nomacorcs with a Portuguese corker?

Cork.jpg

Last edited:
Most of our nomacorcs have a slight roll on the bottom of the cork like you're showing. The roll on ours is smaller and not all the way around as you're showing. Nomacorc is supposed to be inserted dry--however the tabletop corker we have doesn't like inserting them when they are dry so we have to wet them which makes them insert very easily.

Nonetheless, I think the seal on your cork is still OK--maybe not the prettiest thing, but I think it'll do the job. What size are these corks--we use a #9.

Oh, we don't pay any attention to the issue of the grapes being right-side up or not. I'm anal retentive--but not THAT anal retentive.

If you put shrink caps on no one will notice the 'upside down' corks. ;)

Recon--the other thought I had this morning is to ask you if these are the shorter corks. We use the longer ones--they might work better for you--I think they have a slight taper to them and not roll so much.

Recon--the other thought I had this morning is to ask you if these are the shorter corks. We use the longer ones--they might work better for you--I think they have a slight taper to them and not roll so much.

Yep, they are the shorter ones, where do you purchase the longer ones and what are they called? So many types on the website.

Thanks for your help with this issue.

I have noted on a similar thread that I push my nomacorcs corks down about 1/4 or so and fill the upper top of the cork with wax, to hopefully make a better seal just in case.I use the nomacorcs because most of my bottles are upright for storage purposes.

Recon---The cork size we use is 37x22mm and we buy them from L D Carlson.

I have noted on a similar thread that I push my nomacorcs corks down about 1/4 or so and fill the upper top of the cork with wax, to hopefully make a better seal just in case.I use the nomacorcs because most of my bottles are upright for storage purposes.

What's your method for filling the tops? or do you dip the top and part of the neck in as well?
Does this not affect the oxygen flow?

Not sure when you mean by the oxygen flow ?
Are you referring the cork to breathe ? Well the synthetics corks font breathe anyways.

I heat up a tin can of bottle or cheese wax and use a spoon to fill up the space where I pushed down the cork to make it level with the top of the bottle. There are cool stamps you can buy and insert the image in the wax - I don't have one yet ? Hopefully soon !!

Your cork looks fine. Synthetic corks don't breath so don't expect to be bottle aging for any lengthy period of time.
How long does your wine usually sit in the bottle?

On a side note... I don't like synthetics. They're not as environmentally friendly as real or agglo corks. Not a fan of screw caps either.

Jimmy james
I have also heard the same theory about synthetics also, but a couple of days ago I opened an apricot wine dated 2008 and it was great !! My wine usually don't last that long - luckily this one was hidden.

vacuumpumpman said:
Jimmy james
I have also heard the same theory about synthetics also, but a couple of days ago I opened an apricot wine dated 2008 and it was great !! My wine usually don't last that long - luckily this one was hidden.

I didn't say it wouldn't keep long. In fact it will probably keep longer than a real cork. I just said bottle aging in regards to cork breathing could not be expected.

Cork breathability can be a bit confusing. I have read that natural corks don't breathe because of their cellular structure (this seems to be widely accepted). I have also read that certain synthetics, notably Nomacorc, breathe just like natural cork does. It could be that some synthetics breathe because of their cellular makeup and natural corks do not. It could also be that agglomerate corks breathe as well since they are simply pieces of cork glued together so they lose the cellular impermeability of the one piece naturals. The quality of the cork is no doubt another factor affecting permeability.
The closure/glass interface is where the "breathing" is most likely to occur, but, like so many aspects of winemaking, definitives are sometimes elusive.

There are cool stamps you can buy and insert the image in the wax - I don't have one yet ? Hopefully soon !!
These stamps are inexpensive and you can find them in most hobby stores near the wedding stuff. choices will be limited but going on line there is a ton of them. They do look neat if anyone notices them. It takes some work to get the timing right though when to make the imprint. Wax needs to be nearly dry.
I didn't say it wouldn't keep long. In fact it will probably keep longer than a real cork. I just said bottle aging in regards to cork breathing could not be expected.

Noma corks are recommended for 1-3 years of shelf life.

Dan
By adding wax to the top of a bottle with a normac cork in it - could I possibly add a longer shelf life to it ?? Just wondering

Steve I really don't have that answer for you. Noma's are usually only found on wines like whites and sweet blends that are meant to be drank within several years. They could be used on Reds that are being bottled at the peak of thier prime and when winery doesn't want to risk any oxygen getting to the wine and make it age or degrade any faster.

I have alot of wines - including ports that are all normacs and most all are at least 5 years + and knock on wood - no issues at all. Most all stand upright and all have a wax seal on top of them for added protection.

Would the wax seal also stop any oxygen from entering the bottle ??
Similar to wax aged cheese ??

My guess is yes it would prevent oxygen from getting to it. I Just did two vertical Port Wine tastings last week that went back to 2001. There were some from California, the Finger Lakes and local. I can tell you after five years you could start to taste oxidation. Some just a bit and some not drinkable. Some oxidation in port is not a bad thing as it is often a characteristic of Port.

Back