Noob Welches Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And concord/cranberry is awesome. two concord to one cranberry and backsweeten with two concord and one cranberrry and whatever sugar in warmed up wine to bring sg to 1.010. AWESOME

the combinations are truly endless... you can try 2:1, then 1:2, then 3:1... etc.... it's amazing how different they all taste. Pick complimentary flavors or contrasting flavors... it's all good!

These are great to make and keep your hands off the stuff that needs aging!

Debbie

We have made 4 five gallon batches of concord/welches. My wife's favorites have a 1/2 cup of American Oak and 2 jars of black berry jelly with 3 cans of welches to 1 gallon of water. The oldest one is 7 months old no oak and is still getting better(smother / less alcohol taste). I had too high of an sg on my first one.

nate

I can see that I'll have to try a few more stores to find the varieties that you all have been using.
Happy to know that ageing takes out some of the alcohol kick.
Tony...

You need to start around SG 1.085 and it's more balanced. If you just want to get drunk... that's a different matter entirely!!

Debbie

Right.
I don't mind getting drunk, but I like to take my time. :)
Did find some additional Welches at the not so local Walmart. White Grape, Cranberry, Pomegranite, and some other brands. Looks like I'm in business.
Tony...

You'll soon be a happy wino!! Good finds. Sometimes out of the way grocery stores have more variety than Walmart does.

Debbie

Latest posts

Back