Noob Welches Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony49

Reaction score
I started my first Welches experiment a month ago using Kellers recipe for 1 gallon. Used juice from 1/2 lemon instead of acid blend. Champagne yeast.
Tested at 1.100 so added a bit of water to bring it down to 1090.
Racked to a 3 liter (to have some top off liqued on the side) after one week.
Will make better allowances in future.
After 33 days the SG is at .990. The taste is good but a bit sweet and fairly alcholic. Has a small amount of tang. Also can sense some carbonation. Bottom of jug shows some lees deposit.
Question: Is this as good as this batch is going to get? Book says it doesn't age well and should be drunk young.
Should I bottle? rack again and wait? (take up stamp collecting?;))
Your opinions and insight would be greatly appreciated.
Tony...

I would rack and give 3 months or so. I wouldn't age for *years*, but a few months does improve it.

Another improvement is to use more concentrate. IIRC, JK's recipe is for less than 1:1 juice. 1:1 juice is better IMO.

I agree with Bob, and usually add another can for backsweetening. I beleive you are tasting a young wine, even though this wine is an early drinker, it really is not ready to drink before 6 months. Another thing, you need to check your acid and adjust it with acid blend.

Many thanks for your help.
Have already purchased 3 cans for next 1 gallon batch.
Probably less sugar next batch. Would like a little less alcohol and sweetness, or will aging mellow that out?
T...

Many thanks for your help.
Have already purchased 3 cans for next 1 gallon batch.
Probably less sugar next batch. Would like a little less alcohol and sweetness, or will aging mellow that out?
T...

Tony, 3 cans per gallon is ok but I would add more at the end for backsweetening to pump up the flavor and have your sg at 1.080, if you go higher the alcohol will cover the flavor.

Thanks Julie.
Just to be sure that we're on the same page: Less suger to start with, then add more concentrate at a later stage to sweeten and flavor.
Want to be sure because I feel that my present batch is already too sweet and probably too alcoholic. (my taste)

Do you have a hydrometer if so measure the sugar content of your wine before you start to and any sugar and when you do add sugar make sure you deslove it in boiling water or juice to deslove it completely before adding it to your wine and then bring the wine up to an sg reading on your hydrometer to 1.085 -1.-090

Thanks Julie.
Just to be sure that we're on the same page: Less suger to start with, then add more concentrate at a later stage to sweeten and flavor.
Want to be sure because I feel that my present batch is already too sweet and probably too alcoholic. (my taste)

As Julie said, 1080-1085 for sugar to start. Make sure you add kmeta and sorbate before you add more concentrate later.

When you backsweeten with the concentrate, do it a little at a time to avoid over sweetening.

What flavor did you use? I've made all kinds and have them aging for 2 yrs... still very good!! Don't add all the sugar a recipe suggests... EVER!! You just never know how sweet the concentrate OR Fruit is. You can always add. By adding more water to dilute it... you are losing some flavors too.

It's a great way to get some stock to drink early. Try many different kinds. It can be any brand. Just watch for 100% juice... it will make the best wines.

Debbie

Thanks for all the great info. Much appreciated.
Debbie, I used Welches 100% concord Grape. Quite frankly simply as an experiment because of the vids that I saw on U-Tube. I didnt expect it to turn out as well as it did, excepting the minor complaints posted. This led me to believe that a pretty good wine might be made from the Welches.
This is why I posted for more advice. I intend to try and improve as much as I can.
Tony

White Grape Peach is amazing... backsweeten with a little more of it and it's WOW!!!! We liked Cran/Rasp too... and white grape/rasp. Endless varieties. A good way to extend a small amout of fresh fruit too!!

Debbie

Can't seem to find the Welches white grape or White Grape/Peach in my area. The Old Orchard white grape brand contains sulphites
Tony

It does seem to be hard to find. Worth looking for, though! If you are adding it post ferment, sulfites are fine.

Debbie

Can't seem to find the Welches white grape or White Grape/Peach in my area. The Old Orchard white grape brand contains sulphites
Tony

You can still use a sulfited juice. Think about it, adding sulfite and waiting 24 hours is how a lot of wines are started.

Follow the standard process w/o adding sulfite.

Thanks Bob. May be worth a try.
I wouldn't mind trying to make a Rose (blush) using the Welches and the Old Orchard white.
Tony...

Thanks Bob. May be worth a try.
I wouldn't mind trying to make a Rose (blush) using the Welches and the Old Orchard white.
Tony...

Old Orchard makes a blueberry/pomegrante juice that makes a very good wine as well.

I have also used the black cherry / concord 100% juice and I am almost done (as in it is almost gone) with my second batch and it has been a hit. It makes an awesome wine and I will be making another in a few months. I usually bulk age it for about 3 months and then bottle it. My friends all keep asking me for it.

Back