Noob.. second wine. Pectic enzyme substitute...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chessdunk

Reaction score
I am trying to make Jack Keller's Orange wine 2 with RC 212 or 1118. I am making the wine with Malta Oranges.. After going thro the posts I have frozen my fruits viz the Peeled and cut oranges and Bananas. Wonder If I should also freeze the raisins. Would appreciate inputs from you guys...

I do not get any pectin where I live and buying it online from a different country would cost a bomb.

My option seems to be the papaya as we get it all through the year. Should I take the inner layer of the papaya peel of a raw or ripe papaya? Dont seem to find any videos of this online. How effective is this really?

If so I'm not sure if its the same thing but I'm pretty sure you can get pectin through a canning supply

Live in India... I checked for pectinase but that's available only for industrial use or in bulk like 25kgs :)

Keller did mention that Papaya is the only close sub. And some folks here seem to have tried it too... Will try searching for more pectinase...

Just so everyone is clear, pectin is what you use to make jelly, never for wine.

What you want to do is break down the pectin with pectic enzyme. I live in Costa Rica and ran out one time. I used papaya peelings.

What you want to do is break down the pectin with pectic enzyme. I live in Costa Rica and ran out one time. I used papaya peelings.

How did it work for you comparatively?

My only choice at the moment is to use the peeling or not. As I dont think I would be able to lay my hands on Pectic enzyme any time soon... My oranges are frozen and I need to get them started this weekend.

By the way, we are very blessed to have these products available. Many years ago I had to carefully peel papayas, save the peelings by freezing, and use measured pieces of these during the crush stage (the membrane just beneath the skin of the papaya contains an excellent and powerful pectic enzyme).

By Jack Keller in wine press....

Somehow this writeup was getting missed in my searches. Guess i will try the humble papaya this time.

Latest posts

Back