Noob question?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIXFOOTER

Junior
Reaction score
Probably been asked and answered in here, but is useing PET bottles bad for fermentation? It is aparently ok for beer primary and even secondary in the bottle fermentation. So if not then why not for wine making?
Thanks
Danny

I'm not the expert Sixfooter, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn once.
smiley4.gif

Seriously though, I work in a alcohol beverage store and have asked the reps this question. They say that the plastic used in PET bottles does not effect the taste or character of the beverage. If it did, why would Coke, Smirnoff, Water and numerous other liquid's come in it. There is the stigma of glass being better, but I can't substantiate it with my humble brain. Maybe others on here can enlighten us more.
smiley2.gif

The plastic PET bottles work fine for wine also. It's like the old grocery store question- "Paper or plastic?" Both do the job equally as well and each has their strong and weak points. The plastic is much lighter and less likely to break. The plastic cannot be used for anything needing a vacuum however. That makes them a poor choice for vacuum transferring or degassing.

The other consideration is the life span of the product in the PET bottle. they are using it to bottle and sell Nouveau as this has a life span of less than 6 months from bottling to bleaaaah.

Your average coke bottle was filled less than a month ago and is empty soon after hitting the shelves.

So glass still rules for long term storage

well thanks for the responses, these are all actually things I thought about. I have 1 5 gallon glass carboy and have a 6 gallon on the way. I will be useing the 6 gal for beer primary leaving the 5 for first batch of wine. Figuring eventually I may have several in process at once and wondered how the PET would work.
Thanks for your help

Wine kits make 6 gallon batches. Beer is usually made in 5 gallon batches. You can never have enough carboys of all sizes and they like the company.

I have the glass carboys and some betterbottles (PET). I know there are comments saying don't use "water bottles" for fermentation, too much oxygen transfer etc but if I had a good supply of those I probably would try it but probably wouldn't 'bulk age' in them for 18 months ... not that I personally bulk age anything for that length of time in any container...

For the two months or so in the secondary that my typical batches might spend, a PET bottle - certainly the Betterbottles have been - would probably be fine. You can't vacuum degas in a plastic bottle though, they will cave in.

I'm a mechanical contractor. We use plastic piping for water and heating. The plastic pipe used has an oxygen barrier though. Plastic, in time, will pass oxygen. It doesn't leak water, but small amounts of oxygen. I assumed that was the reasons. Again, it takes some time to do so, so using it for a month or two should not be a problem in my opinion.

Using PET for fermentation, both primary and secondary, should be fine as the must/wine is supersaturated with CO2, and thus protected. As stated above, I wouldn't bulk age in it.

nhdennis said:
Your average coke bottle was filled less than a month ago and is empty soon after hitting the shelves.
I was a contractor at Dr Pepper, and this is true. They try and keep the shelf life to under 6 months. At their corp offices you will see some sitting out for decoration. It's not unusual for one of those to just break when touched. Of course, colas are much harsher that a wine.

This is what is great about this forum. A meeting of the minds, experts, along with rookies. It seems everyone can chip in to get the needed answers.

Did I mention.....ROLL TIDE ROLL!
smiley32.gif

Guapo,
I want you to know this is very, very difficult but congrats to the Tide. We are a Gator and Bull household so it was a little difficult actually say go Tide, we left it at go SEC. It was a shame the Texas QB was knocked out so early, only in that this was the kids last game as a college player.

Vcasey. I feel ya. I hated to see Colt injured, probably as much as your household. I have always admired him and Tim Tebow too. I have the utmost respect for those two teams. They are my favored teams when not playing Bama. Always. I would have liked the game better if Bama would have won with Colt in as QB. Then no one could come back on us. But, it's all past us now. Congrats to your two teams. They played a remarkable season.

nhdennis said:
The other consideration is the life span of the product in the PET bottle. they are using it to bottle and sell Nouveau as this has a life span of less than 6 months from bottling to bleaaaah.

So glass still rules for long term storage

That's what I believe too. Doing some bulk aging of my Malbec in glass. Secondary fermentation is fine in PET bottles though.

Back