Noob from CA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSalter

Junior
Reaction score
Well hello. I found this site and knew I had to jump in. I'm new to winemaking, and it was kind of a fluke. Needed plants to cover a fence. Thought some grapevines would be cool. The thought of actually making wine popped into my head, but everyone i told exploded into skeptical laughter. Then I got pissed and determined. Planted some Chardonnay(4 vines) which have been growing like CRAZY. Clusters finally coming in this year. But in the meantime, I ordered a couple wine kits in addition to making 1 gallon batches of local fruit wine the last couple of months. Oranges, lemons, whatever I see on the neighborhood trees. It's becoming an obsession. Making mistakes of course but that's the process. I look forward to starting this journey with you all!

That's awesome. Good for you for taking the leap! Where in CA are you at? Looking forward to hearing how it plays out.

That's awesome. Good for you for taking the leap! Where in CA are you at? Looking forward to hearing how it plays out.
Oakland, CA. We get the fog in the spring, usually sun by midday. Summer temps max out in 80's, maybe a 90 or two every other year. My google-fu has told me that..."terroir"...has a great effect on the grapes. Hahaha this is going to be an interesting journey. I'll have questions that I'll need the forum to answer!

Welcome @JSalter , stick around here, ask questions, and learn. You will make wine that your friends like, just be stingy with the skeptics til the beg for some. Pretty awesome that you’re located in a good grape growing region, that is an envious position. Enjoy!!!

Welcome @JSalter , stick around here, ask questions, and learn. You will make wine that your friends like, just be stingy with the skeptics til the beg for some. Pretty awesome that you’re located in a good grape growing region, that is an envious position. Enjoy!!!
Thanks! We'll see if it makes any difference for me! Look forward to the journey.

Some good sources for grapes in Nor Cal. I know there is a group down there that can access a number of vineyards. PM me if interested and I’ll find the contact.

Back