Non-MLF White Top Off Wine Suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satisfaction

Junior
Reaction score
Working on a white that I do not want to put through MLF. Any suggestions for commercial wines that would work well with Seyval grapes?

Many better experts here but I would suggest letting them know the region from which the grapes were grown and the sweetness level your looking to achieve. Out of experience that grape is versatile; can be used in a dry to sweet type. Details really help in this hobby/profession. Especially while looking for what you want.

Building on what Winehaus said, Seyval can produce wines with varying characteristics depending on several factors - the foremost being when the grapes were picked. Let us know whether the grapes were ripe or very ripe (if you know) and whether you're using oak. Also, will you be leaving the wine on the lees? If you don't know about the grapes, perhaps you can comment on the style you're trying to achieve.

Last edited:
Thank you for the comments, here are some of the details.

The grapes were grown in central MA, just a couple miles from my house. This year was a wonderful year for Seyval in the area according to the vineyard owner.

We picked the grapes the day before the first hard frost and are what I would consider very ripe. (and tasted amazing)

PH 3.1
TA 0.6%
Brix 20.1

This will be a dry white, it was cold fermented dry from the starting brix mentioned above.

The batch was originally ~12 gallons, which I have split into two. One going through MLF as we speak and the other is not. I wanted to explore the characteristics of the wine and figured this would be an exciting way to experiement with the local grown variety.

My wife and I prefer a light oaking, they will be getting spirals of medium american oak at 1 1/4 spirals per 5 gallons and I may separate a gallon of each and leave some unoaked. That is still be mulled over..

The wine is aging on the lees right now, only racked once so far.

Appreciate all the comments and help!

Thank you for the comments, here are some of the details.

The grapes were grown in central MA, just a couple miles from my house. This year was a wonderful year for Seyval in the area according to the vineyard owner.

We picked the grapes the day before the first hard frost and are what I would consider very ripe. (and tasted amazing)

PH 3.1
TA 0.6%
Brix 20.1

This will be a dry white, it was cold fermented dry from the starting brix mentioned above.

The batch was originally ~12 gallons, which I have split into two. One going through MLF as we speak and the other is not. I wanted to explore the characteristics of the wine and figured this would be an exciting way to experiement with the local grown variety.

My wife and I prefer a light oaking, they will be getting spirals of medium american oak at 1 1/4 spirals per 5 gallons and I may separate a gallon of each and leave some unoaked. That is still be mulled over..

The wine is aging on the lees right now, only racked once so far.

Appreciate all the comments and help!

Good information. My suggestion (based on the Brix TA ratio) of 33.5 is to go with a Riesling or Gewurtz., both of which are around 32. With a TA of .6, your wine should be impervious to the modest added acidity. (You'll loose some acidity during fermentation, anyway.) If you're concerned about sweetness, go for a dry Riesling.

An alternative is to go with a Sauvignon Blanc, which is not (at least to me) similar to what you're making. It could change your wine slightly, but your PH of 3.1 (if that's accurate) could benefit.

Last edited:
I have no idea what that wine is like.
Pick a wine that has a similar taste profile or one that has a somewhat neutral taste profile. I would say a dry Riesling for your white, or a Merlot for topping off most any red. The idea is the amount of wine for topping off is going to be very small, compared to the size of the batch (6 gallons I think?), so it won't affect the taste.

Back