Noble Muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know the batch Sirs picked for Julie and I was the begining of October. Julie was down the following weekend. We did our initial press Columbus day.

I'm definately setting some vacation time aside for a road trip if the grapes are available again. make a long weekend out of it.

I think September would be the prime picking time. Sirs had said when we were down that there were much more grapes a couple of weeks earlier.

Just curious as to when the prime time of the year would be to pick them?? Just might be able to schedule a picking party!!
Al

Well according how the weather is but normally from about mid sept up till the first really hard frost

I think September would be the prime picking time. Sirs had said when we were down that there were much more grapes a couple of weeks earlier.

well you got there after they came with the picking machines

I placed an electric oil heater near the primaries so they can feel all warm and cuddly in the 50 degree temps of my basement. I think onece fermentation starts I can slowly decrease the temp of the heater.

they do love the warmth, just had about half a glass of some dry noble that I got it's got enough alcohol in it to make you all warm inside lol just like I like it

Last edited:
Fermentation has started. Both caps were at the top of the buckets when I arrived home today. Now begins the process of punching down the cap several times a day. I'm guessing around New Years I'll squeeze and remove the skins then transfer to a carboy.

they do love the warmth, just had about half a glass of some dry noble that I got it's got enough alcohol in it to make you all warm inside lol just like I like it

This is why I'm always sitting around in shorts and a t-shirt!!! Two glasses of this and you have to come out of your clothes! Boy it sure is good.

I'm down to 5 six gallon carboys in bulk storage and a few one gallon jugs in the fridge and kitchen. None in primary. Don't know what I'm going to do. I may run out before I can get some more fermented! :slp

Guess it's time to clean out the freezer. :) LOL

if you make and drink up all those grapes you got from here son you got a problem for sure

you got what 30 or more 5 gallon buckets of them didn't you......... do you know how many buckets you got?? I can't remember??

you got what 30 or more 5 gallon buckets of them didn't you......... do you know how many buckets you got?? I can't remember??

I honestly lost count of the total buckets. Thirty might be close. No way I'm running out anytime soon. At least not until it's time to pick again. :h

Really hope you get to buy that place!!! Praying everyday that one of us hits the lottery or something. :mny

I can't wait until around March so we can go over and get some cuttings. I would sure love to have about 6 to 10 of the Noble vines if nothing else.

I know the feeling so bad. I'm gonna get cutting from most of the other grapes as well lol

Last edited:
I decided to pull the skins off the must tonight and squeeze the remaining juice from the skins. I ended up with 7 1/2 gallons of juice. Sg was at 1.000. Juice is now sitting in a clean primary and I will transfer to a carboy later in the week. Very full body with this batch.

Everthing is still fermenting. I checked the Ph of the must and it is currently at 3.02 according to the meter. I'll recheck as this progresses prior to transferring to carboy later this week.

I transferred my Muscadine to the carboy tonight using the pump purchased from Wade. Uphill racking, go figure. I have a 6 gallon carboy filled with low sediment juice and a gallon and a half of pretty heavy lees which will complact nicely and will be used to top up the 6 gallon at next racking. I'm guessing I'll end with 6 gallons instead of the original 7 I thought.

Latest posts

Back