WineXpert No More 10L Kits For Me!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyK68

Reaction score
From now on I will spend the extra $$ and get the best kits available. I just got done with step 3 of a RJS Petite Sirah kit, and Im not that happy with it. It is just flat out too thin. I was going to call George and put it on some oak, but it was just so this I said screw it, and just topped it off with some bottle wine. I did use 1L of water which Im sure didnt help any. I know I could of done a better job with this too, but I think the 10L kits would probably be fine for whites, and fruit wines like the Island mist wines, but for the bold reds, I wont ever use one again.

I have never done a 10 liter kit but I have made a few of the 7.5 liter Vintner's Reserve kits. The only red I have truly enjoyed, and it is quite good is the Bourgeron Rouge. I made a VR Cab that I added extra oak to that helped it quite a bit but it is on the thin side. I use it to top up red kits.

I will say the white VR kit I made was quite nice, the Italian Pinot Grigio. The only true advantage to the 7.5 kits are they are ready to drink faster. They aren't perfect but they aren't the greatest in the reds. There are those that are quite happy with them though. I to now stick to the Selection, Estate, Limited Edition, or Crushendo kits. As soon as I get moved I will try the Mosti all juice kits. I can't wait.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Yea I am thinking of the Mosti all juice Petite also. I think I am going to do the Oregon Pinot Noir next though. I mean this wine is going to be drinkable, and I probably should just order the oak cubes, but I am just not happy as I wanted to be with it.

I had a VR Mezza Luna Red that I was not happy with when I bottled it, but after about a year in the bottle everyone loves it and I only have a few left.
smiley19.gif

I guess good things do come to those who wait.

Most of the smaller kits are tasty, they are just on the thin side in regards to body and mouth feel. Wade, I hope your Borolo comes out good to. A Borolo is a Big Red with lots of body in the same class as an Amarone. Steve, I have always heard good things about the VR Mezza Luna. I agree that age will help as well. The VR Burgandy I made is excellent after a year. It is a nice table wine.

Smurfe Edited by: smurfe

Well, perhaps I should just put this away after bottling and forget I have it. Well OK maybe I should put half away. Alright I will put 5 bottles away and not even look at them for 1 year...OK how about.........ahhhh forget it nevermind...LMAO!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: JohnnyK68

steve, I too wasn't real happy with the Mezza Luna Red, (which was my first choice in wine making). I also made a Island Mist Wildberry Shiraz, in which I thought it more like a wine cooler, so I was disappointed in that. But, since one was weak and sweat (Island Mist), and the other I thought bitter, I blended them both together and found a really nice wine. I now have three bottles of each left.I too will purchase the more expensive wine kits.

I do have a Australian Cabernet/Shiraz wine that was bottled in October. I recently opened one and thought it to be some what on the bitter side too. But, letting it decanter for an hour before actually sipping on it,(learning from this forum), it has become a really nice red wine. As someone else on this forum has told me it gets better in a year. Don't give up, It only gets better! Promise!
smiley2.gif

I have not been able to drink any of mine yet (just bottled since starting this hobby end of Oct), but my friends have been doing for three years. She did the VRBarolo a year ago, hated it at first, but we opened a bottle a few weeks ago and it was awesome.

They say time is truly a winemaker's friend, and I have to believe it is true, but boy it is so tempting to want to drink what we make now!!!

Francie

Latest posts

Back