no campden ??????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
I just started a three gallon batch of JAM WINE,using Smuckers strawberry jam. I found the recipe in WINEMAKERS RECIPE HANDBOOK. It says nothing about adding campden in the primary or anytime after. This is the only recipe in the book that has no campden in the ingredients. Could it be amistake or maybe the campden is not needed in the beginning. Also should I add the campden when I rack as usual? Also the recipe tells me to add the yeast at the same time I add all the other ingredients, not wait a day.

Perhaps since its all ready been processed they decided it did not need the campden. They want you to add the yeast and get it going to prevent any problems from not using the campden (my guess). Once they wine has finished fermenting please use the campden, especially if you are sweetening.

Yep, fruits and juices that have been processed dont require any sulfites or boiling water as any wild yeast has already been removed from the equation.

Back