no activity in air lock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PistolPete

Junior
Reaction score
this is my first time making wine. I am making 3 different kinds, 2 red (Merlot & Cab) & 1 white (Pino Grigio). I added the yeast this afternoon, and I am only seeing activity from the Cabernet. Should I be worried?

I would give it a couple more days and you should see something going on.

I'm sure some others will chime in here but you need to remove the airlock during fermentation then put it back after racking it to a carboy.
I just cover my primary with cheese cloth and set the lid on lightly during fermentation. Something else I do is to take a piece of string just short of going around my primary bucket and tie both ends to a rubber band. Then I can stretch it around my primary to hold the cheese cloth on tight.

Welcome aboard!!!

Only during secondary fermentation do you need the airlock. During primary fermentation the yeast is producing enough CO2 to protect your wine. When your SG gets down below 1.010 - you need to either snap the lid on with an airlock or transfer to a carboy with an airlock.

Placing a towel over the primary prevents bugs, fruit flies from getting into it.

I would not get overly concerned.
It can take up to 72 hours for fermentation signs (bubbling/fizzing) to show.

Remove the air lock at this stage. Put a cloth or paper towel over the air lock hole.

Do you have a hydrometer? If not, you really need one.

Make sure the must is stirred really well. Tomorrow, if you don't see any activity, stir the must again.

Make sure the temperature of the must is within the range stated in the instructions.

It will be fine.

Last edited:
Back