WineXpert newbie screwup?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto-girl

Reaction score
I was just down in the basement, racking my Crushendo Syrah. I looked at the carboy bulk aging a Cab/ Temp LE. I noticed a little mold in the airlock. Well, I quickly sanitized a fresh one and switched them out. Do I need to freak out or will it be ok? I do go and check on all things wine almost daily, and this is the first problem I've noticed. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

What liquid were you using in the airlock? You should be using a sterilizing solution in the airlock, or vodka. Both of these wont let mold grow on the airlock. If you were just using regular water, that allows mold growth. As for if the mold got into the wine, it problem depends where on the airlock the mold was growing.

If it was freshly formed- and I suspect it was since you check on it often, it should be fine. Like Scubaman says, you can use ither Vodka or a K-Meta solution in the airlock to prevent mold and kill any bacteria in case a fruit fly crawls in the airlock. In case of a negative pressure developing and some of the solution getting sucked in, the k-meta or vodka help prevent contamination.

How long has it been bulk aging, did you add extra k-meta while racking for prep of bulk aging. If it has been 3 months in carboy then you should add 1/4 tsp per 6 gallon batch if you did not add this extra addition upon readying it for bulking. This will kill anything even though it should be safe but you should do this anyway.

What type of airlock are you using? If you are using the 3 piece one that comes with most of the carboys sold by George, there should be a cap that you can put on the airlock that isn't airtight but helps to keep anything from falling into the airlock and helps to keep it clean.

Thanks for all the replies. It has been aging since May. I did add extra K-meta in May. I honestly don't remember which liquid I put in the airlock. This time it was a K-meta solution after the mold discovery. I do have the 3 piece airlock that George sells. Hopefully all will be well.
smiley1.gif

Thanks again for all the replies. I will surely pay attention to what I put in the airlock from now on. It would break my heart to lose all that wine that I have been waiting patiently for.

I recommend vodka in the airlock - then when you rack or bottle, you get to take a shot!

(ok, I've never taken a shot of it yet, but it's a good idea....)

trashy said:
I recommend vodka in the airlock - then when you rack or bottle, you get to take a shot!

(ok, I've never taken a shot of it yet, but it's a good idea....)

Lol, time to go replace the liquid in my airlock....

You guys helping Moto Girl,

How often do you change the liquid, whatever you use, when you are bulk aging in the carboy?

If your using vodka I think you have to change it as soon as you get home from work!
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back