Newbie question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnwc2004

Reaction score
So I have two kits in secondary stage now. The first is an Island Mist hard limeade and the second is a Fontana Shiraz. By the time frame and SG readings I'm figuring they will both be ready for the finishing steps this coming weekend. However I'm going to be gone. Is there any harm in leaving it go one more week without the finishing steps. Instead of finishing May 1 I would be finishing May 8.

So I have two kits in secondary stage now. The first is an Island Mist hard limeade and the second is a Fontana Shiraz. By the time frame and SG readings I'm figuring they will both be ready for the finishing steps this coming weekend. However I'm going to be gone. Is there any harm in leaving it go one more week without the finishing steps. Instead of finishing May 1 I would be finishing May 8.

If they're both in carboys with airlocks, they should be just fine until your return.

Like John said, you'll be fine. Make sure your airlock is topped up, and don't remove it; you want to keep any CO2 that is collecting in the carboy.

Your real date should be June 1 for the Island Mist and November 1 for the Shiraz, even longer would be better for the Shiraz.

Your real date should be June 1 for the Island Mist and November 1 for the Shiraz, even longer would be better for the Shiraz.

DoctorCad,
He's approaching the steps at the end of alcoholic fermentation in a glass carboy. One of those steps is adding the potassium Metabisulfite to protect his wine, along with sorbate and fpack for the IM kit, and fining agents. I'm not comfortable advising him to put off those steps for the extended times you suggested, particularly the KMS. November is 6 months away..... Perhaps you're advising him to wait longer prior to bottling?

DoctorCad,
He's approaching the steps at the end of alcoholic fermentation in a glass carboy. One of those steps is adding the potassium Metabisulfite to protect his wine, along with sorbate and fpack for the IM kit, and fining agents. I'm not comfortable advising him to put off those steps for the extended times you suggested, particularly the KMS. November is 6 months away..... Perhaps you're advising him to wait longer prior to bottling?

Yep, you are correct. Bottling dates should be extended.

What's the benefits of finishing the wine and leaving it in the Carboy vs finishing the wine and bottling it and leaving it to age?
Thank you for all of the help! I've learned a lot here!

What's the benefits of finishing the wine and leaving it in the Carboy vs finishing the wine and bottling it and leaving it to age?
Thank you for all of the help! I've learned a lot here!

I'm a newbie, but this question was just recently asked and answered here.

Anyway, good luck!

Latest posts

Back