Newbie question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saylor

Reaction score
I am on my second kit . The first says to add yeast to primary after mixing and then just cap it and leave it be. My second kit says to mix it well before capping the bucket. Secondly, my first kit instructions told me after I dump the yeast on top and cap it to just leave it alone until SG reading is correct. Second kit says to stir it every two days during primary fermentation .. Any suggestions on which is preferred ? Or correct??

I prefer to stir it every day once in the morning and once in the evening. The stirring with add some oxygen, which is good in the beginning because the yeast like it, but once the sg drops to 1.020 or below I would stop stirring and just place the lid on until you place in secondary. I think the kits don't want you to stir as to making sure it doesn't oxidize, but it shouldn't in that early stage.

Ok that sounds good to me thank you!! I'll give it a stir and check SG . Ps you live really close to me ( about an hour) . I'm from Latrobe PA. Is this a local forum ??

Ps. Well I took your advice and swooshed it around a little. Smells awesome! However, I checked SG and it's at 1.13! Is that ok? I had a TON of suggestions to add raisins to the kit so I did and I know that's what kicked the sugar up but is that too high??

Last edited:
I am on my second kit . The first says to add yeast to primary after mixing and then just cap it and leave it be. My second kit says to mix it well before capping the bucket. Secondly, my first kit instructions told me after I dump the yeast on top and cap it to just leave it alone until SG reading is correct. Second kit says to stir it every two days during primary fermentation .. Any suggestions on which is preferred ? Or correct??
Generally, I would say that following the instructions is the correct method. Different kits have different instructions, sometimes for good reasons.

For example, does your second kit have grape skins included? If so, they should be stirred daily.

BTW, this question probably should be in the kit forum. Also, when asking about kits, it is always best to tell us the exact name of the kit in question.

Steve

It's the reserve du chateau italian nero cab kit from amazon. It didn't include anything "fresh" but I did add rasins . I was asking because just following the directions would be if I just made the kit with the included ingredients which I didn't. I will put my question in the correct area next time. However I am a beginner wine maker and that's why I posted it here. Thanks for the advice!!

Yes the addition of the raisins probably made the spike in sg. A little late to fix that now but you should be in good shape. I prefer to mix twice a day for several days then let it set for 4-5 days before first racking.

Last edited:
Well SG is down to 1.050. It's getting there ! I was wondering....when I take the lid off to stir it I notice that the mesh sock with the raisins is REALLY fizzing . Should I maybe take those out and let it finish and calm down or should I just keep stirring and leave them in until SG is at the correct level to rack?

Well SG is down to 1.050. It's getting there ! I was wondering....when I take the lid off to stir it I notice that the mesh sock with the raisins is REALLY fizzing . Should I maybe take those out and let it finish and calm down or should I just keep stirring and leave them in until SG is at the correct level to rack?

Personally, I would leave the raisins intact until you are ready to rack. They are fizzy because they are being consumed by yeast plus the resulting CO2 in the wine is attracted to them like magnets (called nucleation points). If they were not contained in the mesh, which you can gently sqeeze by the way, they would be zinging up and down in the must and would eventually sink as the ferment reached its final gravity.

Welcome to the forum saylor.

Last edited:
I believe the SG of the must was a bit too high for a cab, which you don't want any residual sugar in. The 1.130 (even assuming that was prefermentation) figures out to 17.7% ABV and will be high. I would say you either didn't add enough water when mixing it up or added a LOT of raisins. The raisins are generally added to give it a bit more body if it is a cheap kit. Always ask questions before doing things on your own if you have any questions. It is easier to make it right from the start rather than trying to "fix" it.

So if the alcohol is too high what happens? My sg is now at 1.020 and still fermenting like crazy! I actually did ask a question and then followed the suggestions and that's how I am where I'm at now. I have also been told by several people it would be fine.

Latest posts

Back