Newbie Peach Wine Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisade

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all from South Georgia,

I am new to wine making, but already think I am addicted as I have 4 different brews going on.
I have a 2 gallon batch of peach wine placed in primary fermentation on Sunday. Today I stirred the must and tasted it, it was not sweet enough and basically tasted like crap. Question is do I need to just let it finish and back sweeten later when I do second ferment, rack or do I need to try to add a little more sugar while in primary fermentation?

Recipe:
6lbs peaches
2 gal water
4 1/2 lbs. sugar
3 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp. tannin
2 tsp. yeast nutrient
2 campden tabs
1 tsp. peptic enzyme added 12 hours later
1 pack champagne yeast (red star) added 12 hours later.
crushed peaches are in bag in the primarty ferment with airlock.
Initial sp 1.082.

Thank you for your advice.

Hello all from South Georgia,

I am new to wine making, but already think I am addicted as I have 4 different brews going on.
I have a 2 gallon batch of peach wine placed in primary fermentation on Sunday. Today I stirred the must and tasted it, it was not sweet enough and basically tasted like crap. Question is do I need to just let it finish and back sweeten later when I do second ferment, rack or do I need to try to add a little more sugar while in primary fermentation?

Recipe:
6lbs peaches
2 gal water
4 1/2 lbs. sugar
3 tsp acid blend
1/2 tsp. tannin
2 tsp. yeast nutrient
2 campden tabs
1 tsp. peptic enzyme added 12 hours later
1 pack champagne yeast (red star) added 12 hours later.
crushed peaches are in bag in the primarty ferment with airlock.
Initial sp 1.082.

Thank you for your advice.

i think u will need to do a flavor pack. 6lb. for 2 gallon is lite for peach.
what is current s.g.?

Sp

Sorry about that the current sp is 1.030 it does have a good bit of peach floating in it.
I did follow a recipe that was in the "The Joy of Home Winemaking" book re the number lbs of peaches. It does taste peachy, just sure not to sweet.

Thanks

Leave it ferment dry then backsweeten to your taste. When you do backsweeten , sweeten it to where you are liking it but think you need it a little more sweeter, don't - wine will sweeten a little more as it ages. When you get it to where you think you want it, take a reading and record that. This will give you a guideline the next time.

Also, make sure you stabilize your wine before you backsweeten.

Leave it ferment dry then backsweeten to your taste. When you do backsweeten , sweeten it to where you are liking it but think you need it a little more sweeter, don't - wine will sweeten a little more as it ages. When you get it to where you think you want it, take a reading and record that. This will give you a guideline the next time.

Also, make sure you stabilize your wine before you backsweeten.

learn from those of us who don't read direction well, lol. stabilize, then wait a week before backsweetening!! lol

Thanks for the advice, I will follow it and see what happens. Thanks

Update

The peach wine seems to be coming along nicely. I did not add a K pac, but it does taste like a chardonnay with just a hint of peach. I am supprised! I am sure it will improve with age as it is still under airlock and clearing.

Yeah, it will get better with age. If it's good now imagine what it will be like later. (The problem is waiting it out... There's more wine thieves around here than the one I sanitize!:n)

Back