Newbie Mistake!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS

Junior
Reaction score
I started my 2nd batch of wine this past weekend. I used ~11 1/2 lbs. of chokecherries and 14 1/2 lbs. of honey from my own bees.

The receipt said to add the crushed campden tablets and pectic enzyme at the same time. After reading some of the post on this site, it seams I may have made a big mistake by adding them at the same time.

If so, am I SOL?
If not, what can I do to save this batch?
Or, am I worrying about nothing?

Any help would be appreciated!

Normally I've been taught here to add the Kmeta (campden tables), wait 12 hours or so, add the pectic enzyme, wait another 12 hours, then pitch the yeast. Also if you add tannins (usually more with fresh grapes) keep 12 hours between adding those and the enzymes or they may bond together and precipitate out of solution and not do their respective jobs as well.

Would I worry? No, time is your friend. The enzymes will help extract some more color from the berries, but you seem to have used a good amount. Life is too short to worry. Added time when aging will help your wine clear all on it's own.

Keep us up to date on your progress!

The pectic will work after fermentation also. When it gets done fermenting, add it again. It doesn't work during the active ferment. It won't help break down the fruits afterwards, but should help in clearing. No worries, have fun and good luck with it. Arne.

Thank you both for the advise and encouragement. I thought I really screwed up.
I'll keep you posted.

I have another question.

I may need to add at least a gal of water to bring it up to 5 plus gallons. I was unable to add all the water needed for a 5 gal batch, due to the fruit/chokecherries taking up a lot of volume, and my main fermenter is apparently to small (I plan on buying a bigger one).

My question is: Can I add water? Or should I add a red grape concentrate?

You can do one of two things----One is not to worry about not having enough to do a 5 gallon batch if you have different sizes of glassware such as a few gallon jugs, a couple 3 liter jugs, large wine bottles,etc. Doing this prevents you from having to dilute your main wine. If you don't have the glassware, then use concentrate instead of water. In the future, you should gather up different size glassware for just this kind of situation. You can also use marbles to bring the level up. Not a bad idea to have a few pounds of them around.

You need a minimum of 30 minutes for the SO2 to work, as some writings suggest, but I like to wait a good 12 hrs. before adding enzymes. The SO2 can inactivate enzymes, which why the instructions are given to time the additions apart from each other.

I have another question.

I may need to add at least a gal of water to bring it up to 5 plus gallons. I was unable to add all the water needed for a 5 gal batch, due to the fruit/chokecherries taking up a lot of volume, and my main fermenter is apparently to small (I plan on buying a bigger one).

My question is: Can I add water? Or should I add a red grape concentrate?

Can you get a second primary? Just divide your must between the two, and add a half gallon more water to each? You'll more easily be able to get your correct starting gravity that way, before you pitch your yeast. I think that you have enough fruit to support that much more water. Dale.

Thank you Turock & knifemaker!

The type of equipment I currently have is: 2-five gallon glass carboy's, 1-six gallon glass carboy, and 1-six gallon plastic fermenting bucket with an airlock.

I tend to jump into anything new, with two feet, and I make many mistakes when ever I start something new, by doing this.
I would like to limit my mistakes, as I learn how to make wine. But being the type of person I am, I know that may be impossible!:h

Being new, I am full of questions, like the next one I want to ask.

I have two books (one is actually a pamphlet) on how to make wine. I have been mainly using the pamphlet, on account of the steps used in it seam to be easier. I think this is where I'm making most of my mistakes, by trying to take the quick road, instead of the proper road.

In the pamphlet it says, to pull the strainer bag with the fruit in it (fresh frozen chokecherries from around my home) out of the primary fermenter after 5-days (I have been stirring it, and squeezing the bag daily). The winemaking book I have, says to leave it in for 2-weeks before removing it.

What should I do? It will be 7-days tomorrow, since I started this batch.

I just checked the SG, it's at 1.030
I was told by the local winemaking shop, that I should wait until the SG gets down to 1.020 before removing the bag containing the chokecherries.

On the other hand, the pamphlet I mentioned above says to remove it when the SG gets down to 1.030

What do I do??????:?

Last edited:
SAS I have never worked with choke cherries so I'm not sure how to direct you but with the fruit I have worked with I left it get down to 1000 - 1010 before removing the fruit. It's a matter of personal preference but 1020, 1030 seems way to early to me

We leave the fruit in thru the whole ferment. Or at least until there is nothing left but seeds and/or skins. It depends on the fruit somewhat,as well. On elderberry, you might want to pull the fruit out on the 3rd or 4th day to lessen the intensity of flavor.

Latest posts

Back