Newbie from CA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugh

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,
I just started making wine. Have started two WE kits - a Lodi cab and a Dry Creek Chard. Any suggestions on how long to age these? Both are currently aging in carboy as I accumulate bottles.

Welcome to the forum Hugh. I'm sure your question will be answered shortly. We are new here also and still ask plenty of questions.

Hugh, I'm aging my reds at least a year and whites 6-9 months. The only WE kit I've done is a Viognier, which says to age for 6-9 months. But wait to hear from the experts. I'm not one. I too keep mine in the carboys. Helps me resist temptation...
smiley2.gif
Once you bottle, it's takes a lot more willpower.

They can bulk age in carboy up to 2 years if need be but you will have to check SO2 levels to do that safely. If you added the sulfite packet that came with the kit then i would say your good to 3 months. After that if you are still going to bulk age(store in carboy) then I recommend adding another 1/4 tsp. of K-Meta9Sulfite) to this batch to keep it from oxidizing. I would also add this at that point if you are going to bottle at this point.
Edited by: wade

I added the meta per the kit recommendations for aging like you suggest. I guess my real question is how long do you have to age for it to taste good?. I inadvertantly sampled some wine during my siphoning and wasn't very impressed.

Both of those are Winexpert premium type kits. As a rule of thumb, they give better quality, but take longer to age. They need 4-6 months to be ready to drink, but will continue to improve until reaching their peak at 2-5 years. Don't expect a finished and ready to drink taste when transferring. It is still full of yeast and other fermentation byproducts that will fall out when clearing. This is where the patience thing comes into play.

Welcome to the best forum around! The best way to collect bottles is to tell your friends that you're making wine and need bottles. Suggest that only clean bottles will count towards their frequent flyer miles...

Hugh, I think I am one of the very few who do not bulk age. I bottle when the wine is clear, then admire them for 6 to 9 months with the labels on them.

Welcome to the Forum!!
smiley1.gif

hi newbie

where are you in ca - i am in central valley foothills. advise
thanx
rrawhide

Welcome Hugh. Wine is ready to drink,,,well,,, when it tastes good to you. I find it takes around 2 years for a red to suit my taste and around a year for a white but have made both which were quite enjoyable much sooner. I just have a personal taste profile for an individual wine I anticipate and wait for until I start breaking a batch out on a regular basis.

Welcome Newbie, I also am from Ca. Born in Bakersfield.I also am new to wine making and this forum its great. I have bottled twobatches andsince started bulk aging threein carboys. My limited understanding was that it speeds things up alittle ??? I don't know for sure but I thinkI read that some where.

Hi winefan

Welcome to the forum - the place where all your questions will be answered - and WHERE YOU MEET WONDERFUL PEOPLE!!

I am from Springville, Ca (Central Valley Foothills) - where are you?

have a great day

rrawhide

Latest posts

Back