Newbi Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grannytsb

Reaction score
Living in the south and having 80-100% humidity here,
smiley5.gif
should I get a wine cooler/cellar to store my wine in? What is the difference in the Freestanding Wine Cooler and the Freestanding Wine Cellar besides price....... Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Granny

Granny, it all depends on the conditions in your house. Our house is very well insulated and keeps a fairly constant temp and humidity. I just have my wines on a rack in the living room area. If you want to buy a freestanding unit the difference in what you are taking about it the cooler is basically a refrigerator that just don't go down real cold. Maybe to 38 degrees or so. I have one of these I keep white and fruit wines in before serving. The wine cellar is a unit that is humidity controlled that will keep the wines at cellar temperature and humidity. I think they stay around 55F or so. Not positive of the temp thoughthough.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking I would get a cellar, but our house stays pretty constant as well and if anything its usually colder than warmer. Glad to know there is someone close by and I appreciate any and all help. I have a batch of ICE Wine on now and hoping I get a good wine .

Have a great day !
Granny
smiley36.gif

Which Ice wine are you doing. I made a RJS Cru Select white ice wine and it was nasty when it was finished, so much so that I didnt touch it for a year then finally I said let me try this stuff again thinking I might dump it and it was phenomenal! This was when I first began and learned never to think of dumping any wine until giving it at least a year!

I have a Winexpert Selection Special on. Its a Riesling Ice Wine. I sure hope mine is going to turn out OK. And before a year !
smiley3.gif
I will post when its done and let you know how it turned out. Right now it seems to be slow fermenting but I checked SG and its coming along OK looks like in 48 hours it should be right about where the directions say.
Thanks for the welcome !

Granny

Granny this is the one I made. This first time I made it there was enough leftover for a couple of glasses. There seemed to be a taste of honey in the background but was very nice. A year later and it is fantastic. I've also made the WE Cab Franc Ice Wine and it was also very good.
VPC

HMMMMMMMMM...... A couple glasses left over????
smiley9.gif
Guess I will just have to drink them , of course we could not waste them and someone would need to make that sacrifice so I am volunteering for the job !
smiley36.gif

Did your must look like it was slow? It was a little cool here the 2nd day it was fermenting so I put the brew belt on the bucket, hope that was a good thing.
Oh well it will be a learning curve for sure.

Thanks
Granny

I made both of mine in Feb/March. No cold issues listed in my notes, but I'm in Florida and cold issues happen but are very rare. A quick look and seems the only problem I had was it taking a while to clear both times. The wine went very well with my key lime cheesecake!
VPC

Back