new years resolution - to be a sommelier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursons

Reaction score
Hello Wine lovers,

I got into wine in early 2013 and fell in love ever since.
Now I want to take a step forward and become a sommelier.

I live in Toronto and have no idea on how to become a sommelier.
If you are one or have any information, plz share~

I hope every is having the best time of their life and wish youll the best!

I think you start by being a bartender in a Biker bar then it is all down hill from there.
smilie.gif

Actually I had no idea what a "sommelier" was until I read your post and Googled the word. Are there perhaps school/classes that you can go to much like a bartenders school?

In the USA (and in Canada too) there are colleges that have good accreditation that offer programs in wine stewardship (I don't know of any degrees in this area but that may be my ignorance. They seem to offer certificates or diplomas and the time required may be a semester or two. Obtaining that kind of practical education would enable you to have the qualifications you need to become a sommelier. There are also programs offered outside the accredited academic world that seem to me to be quite er ... questionable. With the latter yer pays yer money and yer pays yer money and .. yer pays yer money..

Why don't you contact the local colleges in Toronto that teach culinary arts? I just checked and the George Brown College offers a program that leads to a certified sommelier certificate. (I know nothing about GBC and very little about Canadian higher ed) but I am sure faculty there would help direct you if you called them.

bkisel- Thanks~ I thought you were being serious about the bartending...

Bernard- Thank you so much for all the info, really appreciate you going out of your way to help me out.

I found this guild call ISG (Int Sommelier Guild). They do a 8 months degree on sommelier and you get a certificate at the end of it.

I will def check out some more before rushing into anything (for sure George brown)

Happy newyear and all the best!

Latest posts

Back