New Years Eve Dinner....Tradition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cabbage and black-eyed peas for us on New Year’s Eve and Day. I hate black-eyed peas I might add. We had chili last night and I am experiencing a "temporary" episode of IBS. Everyone around me is experiencing it as well I might add.

Nothing special for us on New Year's Eve or Day but we are going to my son's girlfriend's house for dinner tonight. This is a belated Xmas get together and they have some great food planned and or course I have been asked to bring the wine. My son's girl is into paring wine with cheese and has invited her parents to stop by and sample the wine.
smiley5.gif

Needless to say my wines will be sampled and graded tonight for sure and I will report back on results.

My family and Ihad black-eyed peas, cabbage and fried,smoked hog jowl. (a typical Arkansas New Yearmeal.)
The black-eyed peas and hog jowl are supposed to bring good luck. Cabbageor collard greens are also traditional.
New Year's Day was my 36th birthday.Even though I had to work later in the day, I still enjoyed my birthday!
Happy New Year to everyone!
smiley32.gif

Well, Happy Belated Birthday, ms.spain. Were you one of those babies who made the news as being the first new baby of the year 36 years ago??
smiley32.gif

Ramona

Waldo: You gotta set on you son if you r gonna put wine in that..........this year anyway........
[/QUOTE]

Looking any better jobe? The old heat gun make quick work of the removal of the old wax he used to seal with and the BBrite and bottle cleaning brush did did the rest.
grandpasjug.jpg

Going to give it one more cleaning then fill it wit a strong sulphite solution and let it set until my Muscadine is ready to rack to glass and then its going in there.

Wow brother, that looks brand new! Nice job, I must say I didnt think that that 1 could be cleaned.

Great job Waldo.

Hey everyone, thanks for the prayers. She is doing real well, except for having to back to school on Wednesday. This is her last semester before graduation and she's ready for it to be over.

I don't know much about whether lees would cause a problem to a septic system.I can't imagine it would because the volume is so small compared to everything else that goes in there, and what goes in is mostly organic. There is only about 1 oz (if that) of bentonite which is inorganic. It would take loooong time for that to build up.

there might be an issue with acidity but again it is such a small amount I cannot imagine there being a problem. You would most likely get more acidity problems pouring the left over juice from your empty jalapeno jar down the sink.

Pretty impressive Waldo......... See... I would have walked right by something that ugly and bad.... Only you could have seen the true item under all that junk........... Thats what makes you so special..........

Me........ I would have spent the $20 on a new one................. sigh...........

I'm waiting to see what the cleaned and painted hanger thingy looks like when Waldo is done with it! The carboy looks great only it has that older glas color going for it!

I didn't even think about that Appleman, but your right.

Hey Waldo, I have the Gun and paint for powder coating if you need to borrow it, doesn't take much of the powder to coat it, and it sets in a heated oven in 15 or so minutes............... Your wife won't mind the smell in the house.......... the powder on the floor and in the oven..................well......... maybe not as much as mine did anyways...........

Today is our 24th anniversary.............. It just absolutely amazes me that she said yes....................... Headed out for dinner and.............. well....... who knows........

Edited by: jobe05

Well Jobe when you read this I hope you had a nice Anniversary- 24 years of bliss.

I hope yours goes smoother than our 29th did this year. A sick wife is not nice. I am thankful to have the time with her and hopefully she is getting near the end of her problems! Hopefully when she gets the last of the kidney stones out she will be healthy for a good long time. After the emergency surgery Friday for gallstones(even though she has no gallbladder after Sept) she got a whole lot better feeling. She actually went to work today and said she did OK most of the day but got a bit tired(read a lot)by quitting time.

Pop a cork or two and have a good time!

Hope you two enjoy the day, wow, 24 years...I will be celebrating 24 in Sept...thinking of getting her a floor corker...unless she gets one before then!
smiley36.gif

Thanks guys........ Appleman... Your right.... that was an absolute shameless attempt on JW's part............ Upsets me...... that I didn't think of it........

I hope Cindy is feeling a lot better after her ordeal. Gallstones?..... With no GallBladder? Did they already move out and were in her body? Didn't she have kidney stone issues as well? I have never had either but the people that I know that have had both, I think the gallbladder with gallstones s the worst of the two, so hopefully she's on the road to a healthier, better future.

I guess you have been married a long time. Your Anniversary- you go out to have a nice dinner and the chance for a nice long evening together....... and....... you are back here on the forum sharing your time with us instead of her!

She went to pick the youngest up at school, he was sponsoring a blood drive at the school and got 41 people to give blood. He saved 129 lives tonight, in just a few hours.

The truth is............

You know your getting Old when............. You spend most of your evening standing in line at the CVS Pharmacy getting your prescriptions........... sigh...........................

We try not to let little things like birthdays and anniversaries hinder our weekly "date night". Every Thursday night, we meet at the airport, we get into one car and go out on a date. After the date I drop her off to get her car, and I drive home........ so does she......

So you see..... She's not just my wife, my friend, my everything...........

she's also my mistress.........
smiley36.gif

Edited by: jobe05

Back